Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage 111 long range issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM

Re: Savage 111 long range issue

Thanks Greyfox and Trickymissfit, I forgot to put in there that its a .243Win but none the less. I will start with the sanding and go from there. I know there are lots of ways to skin the cat (and coyote) that range in price and man hours but I figure get the most out my current setup with as little cash as possible.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 long range issue

a few points that may help folks with the bedding screws every so slightly. Leastwise they work well for me anyway.

* buy a small tin of Neversieze with Nickel. Forget the Loctite Antisieze as the stuff is garbage. A small tin of it will last you a very long time as you don't use very much of it. Put a very light coat of it on the screw threads and also your barrel nut & barrel threads!

* torque wrenches are a crap shoot. sometimes you get a great one and othertimes you get a junk one. When you get into small inch pound stuff at least buy one with a dial read out. The ones that break over with a snap don't do all that well in very light settings. I use a Snap On unit that I picked up on Ebay for about $75. It's made like a screwdriver with the read out dial built into it, and is very accurate. Look for one that readsout to about 75 in.lb. max.
Prior to the Snapon I used a Sturdevant that was of conventional design with the dial. Worked pretty good, but didn't like really low settings. I gave it away, but it was a fine wrench. Also had a 1/4" Proto and another Snap On, but they just didn't work all that well for watching a very small thread tighten up. Gave them away as well. I might toss in here that the Snap On unit I use right now is not their best one. I had one of those, and it had a digital read out that was extremely accurate down to one inch pound (had all them calibrated). But it was also three times the price of the one I now use. For what I used it for it was a had to have thing (used it building machinery). It would be well over the top for anything to do with firearms.

gary