Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage 111 7mm mag with Bushnell Legend Ultra HD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2014, 05:23 PM

Savage 111 7mm mag with Bushnell Legend Ultra HD

Looking for a little ballistics help...

I have a new Savage 111 7mm-mag with a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 3-9x50mm DOA reticle scope.

Being in the non-lead zone I am shooting non-lead Winchester Super-X Power-Core 140 grain bullets. Ballistics table on the ammo box says:
100 yds = 1.4"
200 yds = 0.0"
300 yds = -6.3"

Scope instructions say zero it in for 100 yards, then use the drop compensators on the reticle for 200 yards, 300 yards, and so on.

If I zero at 100 yards, given the caliber and bullet type I am using...will the scope reticle work the way it is designed for the 200, 300 yard drop? If the bullet says +1.4" at 100 yards, and I zero it at 100 yards, then at 200 yards I should be -1.4"...?

Still trying to get my head around the whole arcing trajectory concept, and I have read that 7mm mag is a flatter trajectory than the 30-06 I have been shooting, but based on what I found at the range today the scope reticle does not seem to jive.

Scope is properly torqued down, I zeroed at 100 yards, but at 200 I couldn't get it on the paper (small target mind you). Not sure if I was high or low. At $40 a box it gets expensive, and waiting for a cold barrel takes time...so I had to call it a day and vow to return.

Any experience out there to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Savage 111 7mm mag with Bushnell Legend Ultra HD

Here's the short version: Info on your box says 1.4" high at 100 and dead on at 200. Keep in mind this is generic info, your rifle may differ, but theoretically that means there is a 1.33 minute of angle difference between 100yards and 200 yards. Now, that means that if you are zeroed dead on at 100, you'll hit 1.33 minutes of angle low at 200. One minute of angle is 1.047 inches at 100 yards, and 2.094 inches at 200 yards. 1.33x2.094 equals 2.785 inches at 200 yards. Now we can simplify by rounding off 1.047 to just 1 inch per hundred yards, and that is sufficiently precise for most shooting out to half a mile or thereabouts (at one thousand yards the rounding off makes almost a half an inch difference measuring on the target, but is more significant in drop data calculations- you should use true moa for drop charts). You mentioned a small piece of paper. You should have hit between 2 and 4 inches low at 200, aiming at the center of the target. How small was your target? Crunching your numbers for 300 yards, the box info works out to 3.33 moa down from your 100 yard zero. That's 10.477 inches down from your 100 yard zero. For a 7mag, a good hunting zero for deer size prey would be around 250 yards. The drop at 300 would still be in the kill zone, and at short range you won't be higher than the kill zone.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

Now part 2. I just took a peek at the manual for the DOA 600 reticle. (Hope that's the one you have). The manual doesn't give specific moa drops, just generic ranges. To check it, put a yardstick vertically on an exact 100 yard target, and note the closest inch measurement to each dot, with the 100 yard dot at the top of the yardstick (it will be much easier with an assistant to mark the target while you look through the scope). In long range shooting, we know nothing until we measure it! If you have access to a chronograph, measure your load's velocity from your rifle, then plug into a ballistic program (use the one on this site, it's great) and plot your drops on the reticle. If you don't have access, I suggest zeroing the 300 yard dot at 300 yards, then testing other distances to see how close your load matches the reticle. Zeroed at 300, the closer dots should work close enough for deer, the longer distances may or may not be close. If you have the patience, you can mess with changing magnification to see if you can make the reticle match your load better at longer distances, but that is an iffy proposition and you have to get the setting just right under pressure to use it when hunting.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

One more thing, sorry, I should have thought of this right away: the reticle drops are supposed to be used on 9 power. Were you dialed down? the dots get much farther apart on low mag.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:56 PM

Great info! Thanks!

The ammo box doesn't actually show the inches mark ("), just assumed. Could be moa instead...? Pic attached.

Paper was 12"x12" target, no backstop. Public range with infrequent cease fires, and hard to see hits with spotting scopes they provide.

If I only have option of zeroing at 100, 200, or 300 yards based on my local range...which would you pick?
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Savage 111 7mm mag with Bushnell Legend Ultra HD-image.jpg  
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magcreedmoor View Post
One more thing, sorry, I should have thought of this right away: the reticle drops are supposed to be used on 9 power. Were you dialed down? the dots get much farther apart on low mag.
Yes, on 9 power. One more thing though, and this may make a big difference...parralax adjustment was on 100 yards the whole time. New feature for me, forgot to adjust. Duh!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Those are definitely drops in inches. 30-something moa would take a 7mag past 1000 yards. To set that up as a hunting rig, I'd zero the 300 yard dot at 300 and test at the closer ranges. If you were at 9x, I can't explain how you missed the paper at 200, but parallax wouldn't do it. Parallax becomes important the farther out you get, and the simplest explanation is it makes your sight picture more accurate. Read the article on this site for a full technical breakdown, it is very helpful. To hunt, you can just set the parallax at 200 and leave it there for all shots closer than 400.