Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Savage 111 260 Remington Project Completed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Savage 111 260 Remington Project Completed

I decided to get on the Savage do it yourself bandwagon.
I have been playin around with this project for a few months now and am finally pretty much finished. I may end up matching the barrel to the action which I semi dark gray parked and possibly darkening the stock but this is pretty much it for now.
Specs:
Pawn Shop special 30-06 long action reciever re-barreled to a
260 Remington Caliber (6.5mm-08) (Just in case some of you are wondering why a long action for a short action cartridge? Well, it's not just because I can! It's because I handload and I want the freedom of seating my bullets out further toward the rifling/lands for potentially better accuracy while still being able the utilize the magazine.)
25 1/2" magnum sporter contour Mc Gowen match grade barrel.
Stainless Pillar Bedded in a custom (lengthened) Boyds thumbhole laminate stock that I specially clear coated.
S/S Supply COMPETITION trigger.
Xtra heavy stainless recoil lug.
Versa Pod sit down bipod.
Kick-Eez recoil pad.
Topped with a 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper Scope w/ mil-dot

Old 10-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage 111 260 Remington Project Completed

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

Nicely done project. How does she shoot? Thanks for sharing.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

Looks nice! How does it shoot?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks guys! I have a couple of light loads of Ramshot hunter behind 130grn Accubonds & 140 grn Sierra GK's I want to try. Hopefully I'll get the chance to torch off a few this weekend and I'll see about posting a bit of a range report.
Best,
Ron.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Nice looking gun you have there. I am currently building a Savage 111 myself.
I have the model 111 with the accustock and accutrigger. I just ordered a Mcgowen 26inch stainless match barrel in varmint contour. It will be .800 at the muzzle with the recessed crown. I have the NF 20MOA base, lightweight titanium alloy rings, and the NSX 5.5-22X56.
I was going to ask you how you managed to do your recoil lug with the accustock, but saw that you have a different stock. I would like to put on the heavy duty recoil lug, but I am told that to do this the "wedge" that holds the recoil lug to the bedding rails would have to be removed. So I guess I will keep the factory recoil lug, since I don't want to weaken the stock. If you have any suggestions, I am open for them.
Get out there and shoot that thunderstick and let us know how it works!!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
Nice looking gun you have there. I am currently building a Savage 111 myself.
I have the model 111 with the accustock and accutrigger. I just ordered a Mcgowen 26inch stainless match barrel in varmint contour. It will be .800 at the muzzle with the recessed crown. I have the NF 20MOA base, lightweight titanium alloy rings, and the NSX 5.5-22X56.
I was going to ask you how you managed to do your recoil lug with the accustock, but saw that you have a different stock. I would like to put on the heavy duty recoil lug, but I am told that to do this the "wedge" that holds the recoil lug to the bedding rails would have to be removed. So I guess I will keep the factory recoil lug, since I don't want to weaken the stock. If you have any suggestions, I am open for them.
Get out there and shoot that thunderstick and let us know how it works!!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may be way off but it appears to me that you would just need to find someone with a milling machine to widen the bedding rail cutout to match the recoil lug you choose. But your right, mine is pre-accustock and I just pillar bedded it in the more traditional manner. But I'll tell you what, I know now that Savage is a lot more work to bed properly than a Remi or anything else I've bedded in the past. It was a lot of fun but a load more time consuming to do right!

Last edited by 6.5; 10-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 PM

Thanx for all the praise gents! I took her out last Saturday and torched off a few rounds but weather was wet and I left my chrony on the previous trip so it was dead and I had no spare battery. I made the best of it though and was able to send a few down range at 50 and 130 yds. It only took five rounds to make me content to proceed to the 130 and then I was a bit tickled coz all the 5 next holes were touching at that range. Not to bad for in the midst of a rainstorm shootin out of the back of my pickup with the bi pod. Under an inch with mild effort and the first loads I tried. BTW- the loads are built from necked down Lake City brass filled with 40 gr. of Hunter pushin 140 grn. Sierra GK's.(Very mild loads) I think she'll be a coyote killin machine!That is, the ones the stock don't scare off! hehehe!