Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

savage 110 fcp hs precision .338 lapua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Silver Member

Re: savage 110 fcp hs precision .338 lapua

Its the stock. Many of the aluminum bedding block stocks suffer from this problem. I have had the problem in one way or another with probably 6 out of 10 of the aluminum bedding block style stocks( hs and bell and carlson) I have had (savage and remington). That is why I prefer pillar style bedding. However It is quite easy to fix the problem by bedding it properly (which should be done anyway). Typicaly I will just wrap the barrel with tape towards the end of the forarm and let the tape center the barrel in the channel while bedding.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoop View Post
Its the stock. Many of the aluminum bedding block stocks suffer from this problem. I have had the problem in one way or another with probably 6 out of 10 of the aluminum bedding block style stocks( hs and bell and carlson) I have had (savage and remington). That is why I prefer pillar style bedding. However It is quite easy to fix the problem by bedding it properly (which should be done anyway). Typicaly I will just wrap the barrel with tape towards the end of the forarm and let the tape center the barrel in the channel while bedding.
I really like the HS Precision block on the Reminton Milpecs. They are rock solid and can be torqued down to to 65# with no fuss. Never had an issue with four of them.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

I had a stock that had the bedding block molded crooked once. First and last bell and carlson, Never had an hs but switched to choate and have not sean it since.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I really like the HS Precision block on the Reminton Milpecs. They are rock solid and can be torqued down to to 65# with no fuss. Never had an issue with four of them.
The last one I had was really well centered two others were not. Many are very happy with them. Not trying to trash hs stocks just saying its probably not the rifle maker its the stock maker causing the problem mentioned (savage should have caught the issue).
You should be able to torqu down any properly bedded stock with no fuss. I strongly believe all stocks should be bedded especialy aluminum bedding block stocks (reguardless of what the stock makers may claim).