Re: Savage 11/111 338 lapua case sticking problems
I posted this in a different thread, but thought I would add it here as well in case any of you had the same issue I did. I should receive my rifle back this week. Savage said they replaced the barrel and performed function tests with it at the range. They wouldnt give me any specifics on the exact problem they found, but I already know what it was. See below for the issue...
In case you dont recall, I have had issues with hornady brass becoming stuck inside my chamber after firing and even a very stiff bolt with lapua brass. It seems a lot of people have been having the same issue. Once I had separation occur of the brass from the lower primer portion, I decided I was done shooting the rifle until the issue was resolved. Separation is when the fired brass splits into two pieces inside the chamber. Its hard to explain. Basically, after I fired a round ....I forced the bolt back to reveal TWO pieces of brass in the chamber.
Its been a while since I posted on the subject because I wanted to get to the bottom of this before I said anything. The rifle's accuracy is not something I can complain about. It seems to shoot fine, but is a nightmare when it comes to ejecting brass, etc.
My friend who taught me a lot about shooting still has many friends that he met throughout scout sniper school. One of those is a gunsmith who builds custom rifles. After I showed my friend the problems I was having with my LRH111, he wanted to take it to the gunsmith he knows.
The gunsmith that he sent my rifle off to did some basic tests first to see if it was a head-spacing issue. After looking at some of my fired brass he was afraid the rifle might be over chambered. So he sent it off to his friend to have it air mikd on his own equipment.
Anyhow, I was told the following:
(I may not be repeating it correctly so bear with me)
The gun smith said the air miked results show that is it over chambered in shoulder length by .003 (three-thousandths) of an inch. This is making the brass slap up against the chamber when fired and stretching the brass much more than normal. No wonder I was trimming it all the freaking time. The tests ALSO show that it is "out of round" inside the chamber. So bad news on two major issues.
There is no way the gunsmith can fix anything like that obviously, so it is fixing to go back to Savage. I dont see how they can "fix" an issue like that without replacing the entire barrel. I have not even fired over 200 rounds through the barrel so its pretty new.
I will follow up with another post once I hear back from Savage. I plan on mailing it to them sometime next week.