Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Savage 11/111 338 lapua case sticking problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Re: Savage 11/111 338 lapua case sticking problems

Good Info Texas. Thanks I loaded some Nossler and some Lapua brass. Fired about 5 each with no problems. Seems to one consistant variable in this problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 AM

I know that I am ready to either scrap the 338 Lapua or just shoot factory ammo and sell off the brass once fired. Shouldn't be this hard when reloading in my opinion.. very frustrating to spend all the $$$$ working up loads and have to tap them out with a cleaning rod after almost every shot!
My 338 RUM is no where near this finicky for loads and my 308's are even cheaper!!

Last edited by jcraft1; 07-02-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add on
Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

are you using Lapua brass? If not it should solve all your problems.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM

No Barnes, I unfortunately bought up a bunch of hornady and HSM brass because no Lapua was available at the time. my rant is surely out of frustration as you can tell and I am going to try some Lapua brass before I throw in the towel. I do have some once fired out of my own rifle as the Federal match stuff is made with the Lapua brass, so I'l neck size that and see how it goes.. Thanks for the comment!!Plus can anyone put to rest for me the statement of how long(distance) does it take for that 300 grain bullet to start to stabilize. I hear conflicting opinions on this.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

The Lapua brass should solve your problems. If you havent decided what bullet to shoot yet i would highly reccomend the 280 grain Barnes Lrx, it gave me great accuracy in a savage 110 fcp hs 338 Lapua Savage 110 fcp HS 338 Lapua Accuracy. As far as how long it takes a 300 grain bullet to stabalize, the holes on my 100 yards targets are not perfectly round so that suggests that the bullets are fishtailing a little so with that said i would say 150-200 yards to fully stabalize.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraft1 View Post
No Barnes, I unfortunately bought up a bunch of hornady and HSM brass because no Lapua was available at the time. my rant is surely out of frustration as you can tell and I am going to try some Lapua brass before I throw in the towel. I do have some once fired out of my own rifle as the Federal match stuff is made with the Lapua brass, so I'l neck size that and see how it goes.. Thanks for the comment!!Plus can anyone put to rest for me the statement of how long(distance) does it take for that 300 grain bullet to start to stabilize. I hear conflicting opinions on this.
I feel your pain. I went through the same issues you are. I switched to Lapua brass and everything is fine so far on my third reloading of them. I would FL size them every time though. I neck sized the second time and the bolt was stiff on every charge I tried. I forgot where I ordered them, but the website allows you to purchase lapua brass individually if you want. No idea why someone would want to purchase one brass casing. Maybe someone here knows where I am talking about. Ill go find my receipt if no one else knows. I only purchased 50 to test out. I didnt want to purchase 100 rounds and find out that wasnt the problem, so I went with a lower number and COST.

I am not sure about the stabilization of the 300gr. SMK I assume? I have seen both types of holes at 100 yards. I think it may depend on my load. Some were nice and circular, while other holes are jagged. I am not an expert, but just what I saw.

I FINALLY got a good group out with my rifle (savage 111 LRH) at 100 yards. (some circular..some jagged) See my post below on that thread with pics. I had trouble with Retumbo grouping well, so I switched to H1000 and it seems to work so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reloading suggestions for .338 Lapua

And as far as your Hornady brass is concerned.....I did the exact same thing. I have 60 rounds of it reloaded twice I think. I ordered a neck turner to see if I can get them in working order. I am fairly certain that the problem with them is that the neck has grown too thick and gets stuck in the chamber upon firing. Neck turning (trimming) them should bring them back for a couple rounds hopefully. I may just use them with my 225gr loads. I cant just throw them away. I think the neck turner and pilot cost me around $60. I assume the Lapua brass will require the same thing eventually (from what I have been told). I am 4 months into reloading, so I am by no means an expert.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

TTT...ANY OTHER IDEAS on how to stop this issue?