Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Sako TRG-S 338 LM Twist Notice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2003, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Sako TRG-S 338 LM Twist Notice

Just in case I´m not the only one:

Sako tells us the twist rate is 1/12". I have a stock rifle right here with a 1/10" barrel. I don´t know what to think except that this is a positive surprise, just about to try 300 MK:s on this one. Got everything except the bullets,they are crossing the pond at the moment.

The TRG-42 obviously has a 1/12" barrel... I found the site below and checked my TRG-S barrel tonight for fun... 1/10". Very funny indeed,I have only shot factory Scenars for several months, thinking this is a 1/12". Shoots them good but now I´m even more interested in trying 300 MK:s. Moose,you see. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rifle Twist Rates

Never trusted manuals anyway lol. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2003, 07:12 PM

Re: Sako TRG-S 338 LM Twist Notice

HI
what kind of precision do you get out of your TRG-S?
woundering about bying one.. It`s a nice pice of rifle to build a long range rifle on (if McMillan has produced some stocks for it..)
Old 10-14-2003, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

I haven´t built any loads yet. With Lapua factory Scenars I´m quite confident at 500 yds,moose or deer. The factory brake is pretty good IMHO and the Scenars shoot approx. 5/8 MOA / five rounds using a Harris bipod if I do my part. The light barrel heats fast so grouping takes time and some fouling shots are needed before it settles down. I have a Sako Optilock scope mount,it seems to hold fine.

It is zeroed to 250 at the moment, 16 clicks takes it to 400 in my case and last tuesday I took a moose at 300 without problems. Not long range but 500 will be the max I´ll ever need over here.

Janne Pohjoispää at Vihtavuori has shot a 70mm (less than 3") five shot group at 700 meters two years ago using Lapua factory 250 Lock Base ammo and a stock TRG-S. I talked to him yesterday and was surprised it was not Scenar. I also have a friend who is a professional shooting trainer for LEO:s and military, he shoots clays at 800 meters for fun with a stock TRG-S and hits 3 out of 4 with factory Scenars.

A stock TRG-S is a poor man´s medium range rifle. It´s a lightweight hunting rifle after all.The brake makes a big difference,it is very easy to shoot and see your hits,the barrel doesn´t jump at all. I would not hesitate to re-stock this one, I do wish I had ordered the set trigger option but I didn´t know about it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway,I will report the 300 grain Matchking experiments when the boolits arrive. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I am hoping for a sub 1/2 MOA load for extra confidence... it may not be easy. Well, got some interesting accuracy load data from Sako test shooters for the SMK:s. Not for the max speed but that actually fits my medium range hunting purpose pretty good,considering the SMK behaviour at impact.

Another long post... I like this board,folks.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:28 PM
Bronze Member

Please do keep us informed of your results. I had a friend who bought one of the first trg-s in 30-378. He decided that he liked his weatherby better,it was hevier and didn't kick so hard.He then sold it I wish I would of had the money at that time.