Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sako M995 (TRG-S) .338 Lapua Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Wambo, I wish mine shot the 200 that fast. That is the velocity of my favorite 338-378. Some of the others I have will hit 3750 fps but not as accurate. Just out of curiosity what powder were you getting those velocities with?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Oops, 3570 is a typo, it should have been 3370 which is real close to your's.
I was using 97grs of old surplus 4831.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

I've had three in that model, two in Lazzeroni cartridges (Warbird and Firebird), and one in .338 Lapua. All were quite reliable, quite sturdy, and had decent factory barrels that shot about 1 MOA with the "right" loads. All needed major bedding work, custom recoil lugs, and the best muzzle breaks I could find.

I don't recall the twist on the .338 Lapua, but I do recall that it shot the 300 gr pills well enough -- but still barely MOA.

I ended up selling them out of my safe as "not quite accurate enough" and "not quite worth customizing". Or, in the case of the Lazzeronis, "HOW much for one-use brass?!?" They all sold for $1000-1500, depending on how much brass went with them and the mood of the moment.

Frankly, I'd recommend saving up and waiting for a Blaser LRS2 or go straight to a custom barrel. The .338 Lapua is a great round and deserves a really good barrel.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

My Sako M995 (TRGs) in 338LM

I purchased my Sako TRGs used for $800 a few years ago. It did not have a muzzle brake. It was typically a 1" to 2" shooter, but would throw in the ocassional 1/2" group. At first, the recoil was brutal. I eventually got used to it. Switching to lighter bullets and slower burning powders also helped. I found out later that the Leupold VXIII scope on it was damaged (probably from recoil), not damaged so that it was completely non-functional, but to the extent that it likely shot lower recoil loads more accurately than the heavy (300 gr.) loads. After doing the Tubbs FF 'fire lapping' on the factory barrel, putting it in a McMillan A-5, adding an aftermarket recoil lug, and pillar bedding, it was shooting from 1/2" to 1 1/4", with an average of 3/4" (this with the scope issues that were discovered later).

Here's my summary of the Sako TRGs:

- I was not impressed with the skinny factory barrel. It fouled easily, heated up quickly, and I think limited the overall accuracy potential of the rifle. Hot lapping it with Tubbs FF bullets seemed to help.
- The factory stock was very stiff and brittle (good for accuracy, bad for recoil). My dad's factory stock (also a 338LM, Sako TRGs) cracked. I have heard reports of others also cracking. I went to a McMillan A-5, which was much better.
- The factory trigger is excellent (nearly perfect in my opinion).
- The factory detachable magazines are adequate.
- The factory recoil lug set-up is, in my opinion, is completely inadequate. It has the recoil lug in the stock (way too small for a cartridge like 338LM), and a recoil lug recess (groove) in the action. Bedding may help, but in my opinion the only way to go is to add an after-market recoil lug. GA Precision did a great job on this for me, at a reasonable price.
- The action is nice and smooth.
- The action has dovetails for mounting scope rings, but isn't drilled, or tapped for adding a 'screw-in' scope mount.