Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

View Poll Results: New Bolt or New Extractor?
New Bolt, Same Caliber 1 5.88%
New Bolt, 300 Win Mag 0 0%
Sako Extractor 7 41.18%
M16 Extractor 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Sako/M16 Extractor vs New Bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
Re: Sako/M16 Extractor vs New Bolt

Originally Posted by therichardpowell View Post
I agree with the extra cost of the tools, however, I plan on building a Savage action with a Shilen screw in barrel, and according to this, the action wrench will work on both. Same with the barrel vise, pretty universal there. Not sure which one of those I would get. Suggestions? And headspace gauges, once I have em, I have em and can use them for the rest of my life. I really am starting to get into building my own stuff and investing in some extra tools is something I am willing to do. I am not going to be machining parts and installing sako extractors or anything but, screwing a barrel on and checking headpace doesn't look like a whole lot of trouble. I am a mechanic and I in no way compare gun smithing to fixing cars put I have an understanding how things work, and feel confident that I am able to do some of these things and save myself some money.

I would be all for getting my bolt fixed, but I have been messing with it for a long time now, and it either needs to work perfect, or get replaced with a better design. I found a video that shows pretty much exactly what I am talking about, then it shows a Sako extractor flingin the case out.

Remington 700 Bolt: Factory vs Sako-style extractor - YouTube

I would love to see my rifle extract like that. It would be worth the cost of having someone install the sako style extractor.

I am leaning towards keeping my bolt and having a sako installed. Any suggestions on who to have do it? I live about an hour from Portland, OR. Or I could ship it to someone. I have always wanted to have it done but have a hard time trusting someone to do it. Heard horror stories of people doing a crap job and making things even worse.
I mechanic for a living and I'm getting into building my own rifles, new shiny lathe should be landing Friday, and installing a prefit barrel should be stupid easy for you. It's just hitting specs and keeping tolerances where they need to be and your already doing that for a living so this will be like work only funner and it's good when things go boom
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"