Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Safest way to pull bullets from LIVE loaded ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2002, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Re: Safest way to pull bullets from LIVE loaded ammo?

Texas,

Don't you worry about a thing. I work with a fellow from the Lone Star State, so I'm used to being patient and having to explain things. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You get the chance, just slip on over here to God's Country, and I'll not only teach you to become an expert with the impact puller, but we'll throw some Green Chilies on the grill and I'll introduce you to real beer. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

We shoot big guns here too, but we also try to match the gun to the critter we are hunting. The 17 Remington is my coyote calling rifle. Trust me, it's much better on the fur check than a 338 Lapua when the coyote is 30 yards and broadside. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2002, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Tim B., sounds like a real good time to me [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] .
I'll see what I can do about making the trip sometime soon. Those green chilie sounds good to me . You do have something to spice them up don't you. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you got the beer ,I've got the time
Old 09-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Silver Member

NightHawk, Impact pullers for about $12-15, collect versions around $25 or a bit more.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:28 PM
Silver Member

Texas,

I've got an impact puller and a forester collet type puller. You are more than welcome to borrow either. If you are not interested in saving the bullets, the second quickest way to pull the bullets is to put the round in your press with no die, put the ram all the way up, attach a vice grip to the bullet and lower the ram. It works pretty well, if you don't want to save the bullet, a collet puller is the only way to go. The impact type pullers will deform the tips of the bullet. I rarely use these anymore.

Let me know if you need any of my tools. Oh, BTW, a buddy of mine just traded his 300 RUM with a 6-18 Swarv to Dury's Gun shop, if you are interested. It has a nice Vais brake on it.

Also, we use the right caliber for the animal here in the great Nation of Texas. My brother used his 338 Lapua to kill a raccoon and I used my 7 STW on Jackrabbits. It worked pretty well, we didn't have any that limped off injured. I'd say we used enough gun!

Jim

[ 09-05-2002: Message edited by: 338Lapua ]
Old 09-05-2002, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

338Lapua,

Have you tried those 162 AMax's on the Jacks yet? You almost have to have a spotter, proof of a solid hit is hard to find. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 05:44 AM
Silver Member

Nope, no 162's, I used the Sierra 120gr Varminters. We were riding around in a truck (safari style), so there was not a chance for long shots.

The varminter's did the job quite well. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

JIm