Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sabots for long range Muzzleloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sabots for long range Muzzleloading?

IMO, I would not use the Dead Center.

If you are planning on high velocity for long range then a close impact will be like a varmint bullet!
Smokeless is NOT like BP to ignite.

Anything too loose and all you will get is poof :( ( this only happens on big bucks )

I have used the Dead Center bullets and found them deadly accurate at the range, but did encounter a misfire while hunting. I attribute this to the soft lead conforming to the bore over time and in effect making a loose load.

I admit that the powder I was using may not have been optimum for ignition, but yours may not be either.
I hit a small deer at around 200 yards with a MV around 2500+
The results were not pretty and penetration was minimal....but it was a dead deer.

If you like to tinker then the Savage will give you a lot to tinker with.

As a side note, the Vent liner wears fairly quickly and the ID should be checked about every 25 shots. It starts at around 0.031 and once it passes about 0.037 accuracy will normally start to go south.
In that same vein, you either need to keep the breechplug free of carbon by drilling it out every 30 - 100 shots OR you never clean it until you can't load a primer without crushing it. Then you only clean out the nipple area.

Clean can be accurate and dirty can be accurate, but in-between while it cruds up you will tear your hair out

edge.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
IMO, I would not use the Dead Center.

If you are planning on high velocity for long range then a close impact will be like a varmint bullet!
Smokeless is NOT like BP to ignite.

Anything too loose and all you will get is poof :( ( this only happens on big bucks )

I have used the Dead Center bullets and found them deadly accurate at the range, but did encounter a misfire while hunting. I attribute this to the soft lead conforming to the bore over time and in effect making a loose load.

I admit that the powder I was using may not have been optimum for ignition, but yours may not be either.
I hit a small deer at around 200 yards with a MV around 2500+
The results were not pretty and penetration was minimal....but it was a dead deer.

If you like to tinker then the Savage will give you a lot to tinker with.

As a side note, the Vent liner wears fairly quickly and the ID should be checked about every 25 shots. It starts at around 0.031 and once it passes about 0.037 accuracy will normally start to go south.
In that same vein, you either need to keep the breechplug free of carbon by drilling it out every 30 - 100 shots OR you never clean it until you can't load a primer without crushing it. Then you only clean out the nipple area.

Clean can be accurate and dirty can be accurate, but in-between while it cruds up you will tear your hair out

edge.
I will have plenty of time to tinker thanks for the input
Old 05-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Another thing to be aware of with the smokeless Savage rifle is if you do have a misfire BE SURE AND RESEAT THE BULLET. If the primer pops and the powder charge does not go off it will sometimes push the bullet away from the powder charge. If you try it again without reseating the bullet and it does go off it can bulge or bust the barrel. I remembered the powder that the fellow in NC uses but not the charge or bullet. The powder is Hodgdon Littlegun.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Platinum Member

Generally a bullet not down on the powder results in either a mis fire or a very reduce pressure load. This is unlike a BP load where the pressure wave hits the stationary bullet at very high velocity.

Probably the only powders that may work as you describe is the "cowboy" powders.... but they would not be prone to the misfires in the first place.

edge.