Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sabots for long range Muzzleloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

Sabots for long range Muzzleloading?

I live in IN so no rifles allowed for deer season. I'm going to start practicing out to 250-300 with my muzzleloader. So anny bullet/powder recomendations? I plan on trying some of the new blackhorn 209 powder.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Sabots for long range Muzzleloading?

Did I read this right? Long range...... and Muzzleloader....... in the same sentence. Please do post back on you progress as I am sure there are many of us that would like to see what kind of a group you could throw together.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter351 View Post
Did I read this right? Long range...... and Muzzleloader....... in the same sentence. Please do post back on you progress as I am sure there are many of us that would like to see what kind of a group you could throw together.
Yes you read that right. Now for long range, it will be long range for the weapon. I will be using a CVA Acurra and a Savage smokeless. No custum guns, just over the counter out of the box. The CVA will already shoot 3/8" groups at 100. I plan on shooting out to 500-600 and hunting to 350 I will have to see what my fps and energy is first to determin max hunting distance.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

I know a guy in NC where I hunt that uses his Savage Smokeless 50 cal muzzle loader to kill deer in the 300 to 400 yard range. I think I heard him say that he uses the MPM high pressure sabots but can't remember the load or the bullet he uses. He knows exactly the yardage that a deer is at when he shoots. I heard him say that if you miss the yardage by as much as 25 yards it will most likely be a miss of a deer at that distance. You can bate for deer in NC so he knows the yardage to his bate sites. He has a 5-30X50 Swarovski scope on his Savage. He uses it all the time. He could use any rifle but he says this puts a challenge into hunting. He says most any body with a 7mm mag can kill a deer easy from 1 to 350 yards with a 3" high 100 yards zero by simply holding the cross hairs in the center of a deers shoulder and squeezing the trigger. It takes a lot of experimentation, judging the wind and knowing your yardage to do it with a muzzle loader.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2506 View Post
I know a guy in NC where I hunt that uses his Savage Smokeless 50 cal muzzle loader to kill deer in the 300 to 400 yard range. I think I heard him say that he uses the MPM high pressure sabots but can't remember the load or the bullet he uses. He knows exactly the yardage that a deer is at when he shoots. I heard him say that if you miss the yardage by as much as 25 yards it will most likely be a miss of a deer at that distance. You can bate for deer in NC so he knows the yardage to his bate sites. He has a 5-30X50 Swarovski scope on his Savage. He uses it all the time. He could use any rifle but he says this puts a challenge into hunting. He says most any body with a 7mm mag can kill a deer easy from 1 to 350 yards with a 3" high 100 yards zero by simply holding the cross hairs in the center of a deers shoulder and squeezing the trigger. It takes a lot of experimentation, judging the wind and knowing your yardage to do it with a muzzle loader.
Well with any longrange hunting knowing the distance is importand specially with a slow projectile. NC deer are like the size of dogs compaired to are deer here in IN. average buck dresses 225lb's. It will be a fun challenge for sure. I have a ridge I can set up on in some tall grass. Might wear a guily suit for kicks. The hunt will be videoed with prob two camera angles. I call that area the killing fields Lots of ground hogs have been turned to chuncks out there.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

I can't help with the BP loads, but smokeless is another matter

Tell me a bit about your Savage loads, powders, bullets and accuracy.

For smokeless shooting, IMO there is no better people helping than here :

Doug's Message Boards - Home

One of the problems is always bullet performance. Finding a bullet that will perform at 50 yards and still kill reliably at 3 or 400 yards is a bit of a problem in 45 caliber.
One of the best is the Barnes Original 300 grain bullet....but you will need to dial up past about 275 yards!

Low BC really limits your range due to wind deflection and "brick trajectory"!

edge.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
I can't help with the BP loads, but smokeless is another matter

Tell me a bit about your Savage loads, powders, bullets and accuracy.

For smokeless shooting, IMO there is no better people helping than here :

Doug's Message Boards - Home

One of the problems is always bullet performance. Finding a bullet that will perform at 50 yards and still kill reliably at 3 or 400 yards is a bit of a problem in 45 caliber.
One of the best is the Barnes Original 300 grain bullet....but you will need to dial up past about 275 yards!

Low BC really limits your range due to wind deflection and "brick trajectory"!

edge.
thanks I just got the smokeless, It was my grandfathers. I have shot it several times and it kicks like a mule. I have shot shockwaves out of it with decent accuracy. I loaded some hornay the old syle and man I was lucky to get the projo down the tube. Its is a pre accutriger syth stock. Will prob bed it, and fill the but section in with some shot. And better recoil pad for sure. I have been looking at dead center bullets? I think thats what there called. They have a all lead bullet that should perform well out there a ways.