Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Sabot ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sabot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge View Post
High Power yes, but it is a muzzleloader and not a cartridge rifle
250 grain Accubond at 3,000 fps.

I have shot a break open 45-70 cartridge with a pre rifled sabot but at lower velocity and only in the 1 moa range. I had to load it by feel, partially load it and rotate the cartridge until the rifling caught, then the cartridge was fully inserted.

edge.
That's a serious muzzle loader.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like the 250gr. Accubond Sabot was a very succesful experiment. It may not have yielded the desired results, but it did yield results. (( What type of material is being used to make the shoes. )) I wonder how short the barrel could be cut down and still make representation of the origional 3000 fps velocity. Because I'm more interested in a short barrel (legal) for a few reasons. # 1 the obvious benefits of short barrel stiffness and the decreased time for me to wiggle. I'm not sure but as far as velocity goes ( first stop on the road ) a full pressure load with smaller charge weight and faster burning powders should bring velocities up without haveing the need of a large volume of expanding gases needed to keep it going through a long tube, and once the bullet hits a particular velocity, there simply is not enough time left to significantly increase bullet velocity. From a short barrel it could end up a win win situation. If the mechanics of good velocity can affordably be achieved, then the costs of shoe development would be a fun hobby and who knows!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Here is cutaway view of an Accubond ML sabot:

Most of my sabots for the ML are PVC type II which is corrosive due to small amounts of chlorine gas given off when fired! The bore needs to be cleaned and oiled after every shooting session as a result which is a pain....but these have been the most accurate for me.

If I were molding sabots then some sort of Nylon or PET or some combination would most likely be my choice. Since I machine each sabot individually, sawcut the petals, and debur by hand I need a very different set of specs for my sabot material.

You need a material that is strong enough to not blow a hole in the sabot, a material that is rigid enough to keep the bullet centered in the bore, and will separate cleanly from the bullet in a nearly identical manner every time.
There are two main types of sabots, one type stays intact like most soft ML sabots and open like a flower. The other type like mine and those used by the depleted uranium anti tank shells separate into pieces are made from very rigid material and these pieces carry a lot of energy.
The base of my sabot often travels a hundred yards and has about 400 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle so you need to watch out for bystanders and ricochets!

edge.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Is the millitary doing this with the 50 BMG?
i.e. depleted uranium and sabots for superior penetration

If the millitary hasn't found it useful in a shoulder fired rifle with their R&D budget, then it's likely got more than a few problems.

Also, I wonder if a progressive twist barrel would help get your velocity up without premature shredding of the sabot?

...the idea being to shoot extremely high BC bullets at high velocity/rpm

How would that affect the yaw?

Would you be better off to just shoot a well designed 338 cal rifle?

-- richard
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

The 20mm Phalanx does/ used to shoot a spin stabilized sabot round MK 149 AP
I don't know the accuracy of that round.

In ML season I am limited to a 44 caliber bore so a straight 338 is not an option.
I would say that 99% of folks would Probably be better served with a standard long range rifle.

Now since it is easier to get high velocity with a larger bore without exceptionally high pressures and since plastic is pretty easy on barrels and "whatever else" there may be an advantage if the sabot were designed properly.

edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Is the millitary doing this with the 50 BMG?
i.e. depleted uranium and sabots for superior penetration

If the millitary hasn't found it useful in a shoulder fired rifle with their R&D budget, then it's likely got more than a few problems.

Also, I wonder if a progressive twist barrel would help get your velocity up without premature shredding of the sabot?

...the idea being to shoot extremely high BC bullets at high velocity/rpm

How would that affect the yaw?

Would you be better off to just shoot a well designed 338 cal rifle?

-- richard
Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

IT is always better to get a standard everything available cartridge. I've been building my own wildcats for years and whenever I've come up with something new a basically no difference cartridge shows up in a reloading manual with all of its ducks in a row. There are no new cartridges just new names with a convenience factor. All of the African volume brass has been folded, spindled and mutilated to the nth degree. I realize that we are at a dead end without a new powder catagory. Please don't take me wrong when I say Ive been there and did that. I like many have a spirit that always requires something new even if its old to someone else. Sabot has my interest.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Gold Member

3000 fps that's some serious stuff , I like 250 gr TC shock-waves they group like 0.6" - 0.8" @ 100 when I use 777, its about 1700 - 1800 fps, I also tried APP, but groups were allover.