Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

saavage question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: saavage question

Small shank threads are 1.06"

Large shank threads are 1.12"
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Mike,

Shank size makes no difference on caliber choice, although I have heard/read that some barrel manufactureres will not do the RUMs or WSMs on a small shank barrels, others will.

Savage did make a limited number of factory RUMs and WSMs on the small shank before switching to the larger size. To the best of my knowledge the factory large shank barrels have a small step down in front of the barrel nut, not positive 100% are that way but the vast majority are.

Chris
Old 06-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

What winmag said is correct..
Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Winmagman is correct except for 1 thing, only the sporter barrels have the step on large shank barrels. The Bull barrels on the precision actions do not.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

After a couple times a blind monkey could swap barrels I have 4 barrels for my model 12 and change over in a couple minutes, one barrel is shouldered and the rest are nutted. Action is bedded only so changing over makes no issues with that.

Some set the head space with a case but I find it much easier to do it as geargrinder said, spin down on the go-gauge and tighten up then check with with a piece of tape then rock on. I don't tighten my barrel nut tight enough to need the action wrench, I just hold the barrel in one hand and give the wrench a wack and it spins of except for the shouldered one.

If your identifying a large shank by the step the varmint barrels also have a step.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

What do you guys mean check it with a piece of tape??

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I put a piece of scotch tape on the back of the gauge and trim it up, it adds .002 per piece of tape. I also have shims that I can use but for myself I just tape it. A no-go gauge is more head space than I want so it's kinda useless to me.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"