Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

SAAMI Hybrid Hunting, 7mm 168gr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:06 AM

Re: SAAMI Hybrid Hunting, 7mm 168gr

Joe they are but... the hybrids are going to set further back from your lands.. eg. the VLDS might be loaded .050 off the lands with a overall length of 3.25.. If you set the hybrids at 3.25( the same depth) .. not changing your die... i will tell you you will be more off the lands so lets say at least .060 off maybe up to .120 at the same length

Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREBS View Post
Joe they are but... the hybrids are going to set further back from your lands.. eg. the VLDS might be loaded .050 off the lands with a overall length of 3.25.. If you set the hybrids at 3.25( the same depth) .. not changing your die... i will tell you you will be more off the lands so lets say at least .060 off maybe up to .120 at the same length
Yea maybe but why does that matter? If your working up a new load don't you find the best distance off the lands for THAT bullet? (thats how I do it) I never ever create a load based on over all C.O.A.L. I kind of did that with the 168gr Classic hunter, but only so much as to insure they fit in the magazine, the point behind the Hybrid design (which ever flavor) was to minimized sensitivity to seating depth. Berger very much got it right in that regard. I've tried 3 different "Hybrids so far in 2 different bore dia, and as of right now they've all shot well regardless of distance off the lands. For examples the 168gr CH, when I worked up that load I started on my seating depth at 0.020" off the lands and worked out to 0.100 off the lands, not 1 seating depth produced more than 1moa, with 0.040 being slightly under and produced the largest group, and 0.060 producing well under 1/2moa, with 0.080 and 0.100 still being under 1/2 moa, and 0.0600 off the lands being the longest C.O.A.L. that would fit in my magazine but with no room to spare. For that particular load I settled on 0.080 to insure that I wouldn't run into feeding problems. I also tried the 95gr CH in my 243 with similar results as far as being insensitive to seating depth and grouping, with that rifle though magazine length is not a limiting factor for C.O.A.L. With the 180gr Hybrid that bullet is just far to long to load to magazine length without seating the bullet far into the case and taking up case capacity so I never worried about that and decided that that load would have to be single shot, and again I haven't found a seating depth that produces over 1moa, and at this point I am getting under 1/2moa and my current step is fine tuning the powder charge.

since you referenced the seating die I feel that I should mention that I use a
Redding benchrest die, and record the micrometer reading for each individual load so that if for what ever reason I want to revisit a load it's only a matter of setting the die to that reading.

My conclusion (opinion) is that the hybrid designs of both flavors are very very good Ojive designs and will eventually have a large impact on Long Range precision game, and may very well be a a game changing break though for the bullet industry.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM

It wouldn't just sayin be mindful of it because if you can get the difference between the lands you can set the bullet appropriately because for all practical purposes they essentially fly the same for all shooting under 1000 k. And I've seen people just trade them out and complain of accuracy when they did not adjust for the lands... But ya u nailed it. Also seen guys switch from hybrids loaded .010 off lands on a magnum to original VLD's, thus jamming them into the lands and top loaded pressures = blown up gun
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Ok I didn't understand what you where saying, I agree with you though I nearly had to bottom out my seating die for the CH and for the 180gr it.s backed out 0.400 farther. Amazes me when people try to just swap out bullets thinking they don't need to verify things first.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe