Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

SAAMI Hybrid Hunting, 7mm 168gr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: SAAMI Hybrid Hunting, 7mm 168gr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
+1 as I shoot the vld's now.
If you already have a good load for the VLD, why would you want to downgrade your performance by switching to the classic hunter?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
If you already have a good load for the VLD, why would you want to downgrade your performance by switching to the classic hunter?
for the same reason I initially tried CH, in the hope to be able to use my magazine again, and the difference in down range performance isn't much at all. another bonus is that as your throat erodes the effect on a VLD load can be less than desirable, with the CH you may not even notice any difference. Or just curiosity. What ever the reason that hybrid Ojive is turning out to be a neat deal.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
Joe, pretty much dittoed what my answer would be. Yes I have a good load for the VLD's both in 168 and 140 I live In Indiana where we can't really use true center fire rifles for big game (whitetails) I had my rifle built for my trips to Wy. and Colorado that being said I still like to tinker around with different bullets occasionaly. So why not test the difference in the two? Still have no answer if the loads would be same for either bullet, which was I think our original question.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

I emailed Berger to ask them about the load for 168VLD vs 168 Classic Hunter, and they sent me back load data for 7WSM for 168 grain bullets, with no distinction made between the different 168 grain bullets. So according to them, load data should be the same for the VLD hunting and target bullets, and the 168 Classic Hunter. But I'm still going to drop down a few grains and work my way back up to my original load just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsendero View Post
I emailed Berger to ask them about the load for 168VLD vs 168 Classic Hunter, and they sent me back load data for 7WSM for 168 grain bullets, with no distinction made between the different 168 grain bullets. So according to them, load data should be the same for the VLD hunting and target bullets, and the 168 Classic Hunter. But I'm still going to drop down a few grains and work my way back up to my original load just to be on the safe side.
Ging from the VLD to the CH I would drop down a little too since it has a longer bearing surface, going from Ch to the VLD though I just might do a direct swap and try out different seating depths. They both have the same jacket with the same thickness the only real difference being bearing length.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 PM

Mr. Stecker just wanted to say thanks to you and Berger for coming out with the new Classic Hunter Bullets. I only have one rifle that has a custom barrel, my others are all factory. Glad I can now shoot Bergers in the rest of my rifles. Can't wait to see what other Classic bullets you guys come out with. I just ordered a box of the 30 cal 168 for my 308.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've been playin with the 180gr hybrids too, similar results except their waaay to long for the magazine

Joe