Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

S1, more seating depth questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Re: S1, more seating depth questions

Question for S1. You say get rid of the expander ball. That sounds interesting. Why would you reccomend this. Would greatly increasing neck tension increase accuracy?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:16 PM

I think excessive neck tension is counterproductive to accuracy. I should have been more specific. What I really meant to say is, "Use a full length sizing die that incorporates a changeable neck bushing in its design, thereby removing the need for an expander ball and giving better control over neck tension, and more concentric ammo."

If one of the goals is to load concentric ammunition, neck wall thickness must be very consistent, requiring turning necks with most lots of brass. Long range shooting also demands controlling vertical stringing, which in turn demands controlling neck tension. Turning necks will help these issues:

1) Standard Deviation of Velocity

2) Concentricity of ammo

3) Accuracy (vertical stringing)
Old 06-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

I do turn necks, and anneal. Today I was loading rounds for a 1000yd match in Burns Lake BC and after reading your post I did notice they were quite "loose". Bringing to mind some dates but thats another story. In some ways loose may be good for soft seating but in others mayhaps not. Educate me.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:00 AM

I believe that light neck tension and into the lands is best for ultimate accuracy. Dangerous game, semi-auto rifles, and arctic conditions all require more neck tension and the bullet NOT stuffed hard into the lands.