Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

??'s on Savage 116 6.5x284

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 11:47 AM

??'s on Savage 116 6.5x284

Does any one have any feedback/ reviews on the Cabelas exclusive 116 weather warrior in 6.5x284? I've been interested in this caliber for a while, and just recently came to realize that although ugly, Savages do perform. The nearest Cabelas is over 200 mi from here. So I am looking for some feedback before I make the journey. TIA-Jim...........
Old 04-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: ??'s on Savage 116 6.5x284

I have about 250 rounds through mine. I have no compliants about this set up. I brought it home, cleaned it up real well, and broke it in. I did a break in with 20 rounds. The barrel hasn't changed much if any since the initial break in regarding copper fouling.

I would, in a nano second, buy another. I have not been a big fan of the way the savage bolt handle etc looks but ya know, I used to it now and really like the look and feel of this rifle for a stock set up.

Also, the deep flutes on the barrel helps pull some weight out. I believe I am right at 11.3 lbs with a NF 5.5-22 x 56 scope.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks Brent, I was hoping you could tell me about a couple details. You mentioned the bolt handle, is it the larger, smooth knob, or the smaller "checkered" one? Also, how does the bolt release? On the side or trigger guard? Oh and is it blind mag,detach, or ????
Old 04-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Medium knob and smooth, not the mondo target or little blister maker.

Release is two part, squeeze trigger, press in release on side of action. Easy.

It is the bottom feed style, 3 plus 1, trap door. I really was hoping for a detachable mag, but I have gotten use to this style and really like it. It is very gentle on handling the cartridges and not bumping bullets out of alignment.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
??'s on Savage 116 6.5x284-savage.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Thanks again Brent, I had seen your pic on Savageshooters but couldn't tell about bolt knob, release, etc. I much prefer the side release to the goofy little button in front of the tag. Gonna have to make a road trip this weekend and check one out.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

I have the rifle and love it. It does not kick much and it something you can shoot all day. The trigger on mine is set real nice and I did not change a thing except put a 20moa rail on and a nice scope. I hand load with the 140 bergers and hybrid 100. I'm getting 2845fps out of this load and it shoot .5 moa out past 300yrds. This is with the 24 inch barrel and max load off of hodgens web page. I'm sure I could push it faster but this was the fastest I seen out of the powders I tried. Powdrs were H4350, H4831ssc, and the Hybrid. Hybrid shot the best through the gun. Gun has always clean up nice but my cold bore shot is a bit slower and low. So for hunting I sent one foul shot down the barrel and put if back in the case during hunting season. After the fist fouller it will shoot 20 plus shoots with no issues at 1/2 moa or less. Everything I have sent down the barrel usually groups below 1inch. All factory ammo grouped at .75 to .8in/100yrds. I did have an issue with a box of factory loaded ammo. It was very hot in my gun and was shooting at 3000 to 3030fps. Bolt was a little stiff when ejecting the rounds. I think this may have just been that box. But I love the gun and would buy another in a second.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went to Billings this weekend to look at the rifle, which they supposedly had two of per my phone call. Turned out they were mistaken and didn't have any. Not to be deterred, we decided to stay over, and run over to the Rapid City Cabelas on Sat. Before leaving town, we stopped at Scheels. Admiring the Coopers in the glass case, I asked the salesman "what caliber is that one without the tag"? He shrugged and opened the case. 6.5x284!!! "How much"? I asked. When he told me me I asked "are you sure"? Cuz it seemed pretty cheap to me. Yep he says it's new old stock plus a markdown. The target was shot in 2009, so I'm guessing I got '09 pricing plus markdown. Anyway, it followed me home and the Savage is gonna have to wait.