Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Run out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 11:01 AM

Re: Run out

Tim,
To answer the question that you asked "what to do with the ones that don't meet your critera". This is simple; straighten them up!
I straighten all mine up to within 1 thous. by inserting the bullet into a hole which is drilled into a piece of UHMW (like the white cutting boards). Just a little "tweak" and the bullet is aligned with the case.
I check all mine with the NECO gauge and have beening doing it this way for about 8 years now.It works great.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

I measure run out about 1/8" ahead of the case neck +/- depending on cartridge. I've not tried straightening after the fact but do index the rounds and find that when oriented the same even .005"+ RO can shoot good groups, just not exactly where you want them. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] I segregate depending on cartridge and application, usually in increments no larger than .001", ie. (.000-.001") then (.002-.003). Seldom use more in the field and usually trash a case with more than .003 on the second go round. Maybe somebody should write a book on the subject so we'd know what we're supposed to be doing... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2003, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

Jim charges $35 for his conversion using redding or wilson neck dies.

If you want down on the shoulder such a neck size and shoulder bump there is only one die that does that. Neil Jones makes a custom FL shoulder bump die ( $175 for die and his custom bushings $14). He needs three pieces of brass that have been fired in "your" gun 3 times. Now if you are doing a wildcat with shoulder blown forward and out, he will make the die a Neck size only to allow you to fire some brass. Send the brass and die back to him and he changes the insert in the die to shoulder bump at no extra charge. Only guy around that does that and his dies are the Rolls Royce of dies for 1K BR shooters but still at reasonable prices.
\
Good Luck

BH
Old 02-12-2003, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Bountyhunter. Is he using a reamer or a lathe to cut the dies?
Old 02-14-2003, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

One other note......be sure to check runout
on some rounds AFTER you have cycled them
through the magazine (if you have one).

Ross
Old 02-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Bountyhunter,

I talked to Neil Jones today, he'll be making the dies for me. He does cut them on the lathe and has reasons for not using a reamer. The die will be set up to full length size the body .001" and use the shoulder bump and neck size inserts. Look forward to giving them a try.

Thanks.