Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Run out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2003, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Run out

I've been asking this same question, several times a year, on this and other boards. Where in the hell have you all been?

I just "tuned" the RCBS FL dies as instructed above. The result is 30 pieces of brass all less than .002" most in the .001"-.0015" range. Nearly all of these had been tossed aside due to excessive run out. Mostly in the .004"-.006" range.

I don't remember how much run out I had in the brass before putting it though the Neck sizing die. But I know most all of it came out .004"-.005" out of round. I didn't use it very long before putting it back in the box and setting it on the shelf. If you were wanting to buy it, you're too late. I traded it this afternoon for 300 pieces of 200 grain semi wad cutters for my 45. I think I got a great deal, at least I'll use the wad cutters. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Tim--just curious if you used my method or a combination of what was posted by all. Thanks Kraky
Old 02-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Kraky,

I pretty much just used the directions you gave, and "floated" the expander to the center. I had already tried the "O" ring, and didn't have anything on hand to polish the expander ball.

Getting one badly out of round wasn't something that happened often, but once I had gotten a piece of brass out of round, it seemed nothing I could do would straighten it back out. So it got tossed into a bag of bad brass. Thinking one day, I'd learn how to fix it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I guess this was just a case where persistence paid off. I just had to keep asking the question until someone slipped up and revealed the magic secret [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

When you all measure runout, do you indicate off of the bullet nose an 1/8th to a 1/4" behind the tip, up next to the neck or somewhere in between this. An apples to apples comparison with everyones runout numbers is only likely to happen if we all are indicating just off the neck by about the same amount, true?
Old 02-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

I usually go 1/2 way from the case mouth to where the bullet starts to taper towards the tip. Better said 1/2 the way up the shank??
Old 02-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Kraky,

That would be called 1/2 the way up the bearing surface. Farther and you are on the Ogive. Now, if the Ogive meets the bearing surface at a tangent, that's a "tangent ogive". If the ogive is an arc that would continue beyond the bullet diameter (if it continued), that is a "secant ogive"

Just a little semantics.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:49 AM
Silver Member

There has been so much RUNNOUT QUESTIONING LATELY (on all the forums) that I'm getting too lazy to type out my explanation. Maybe if I was good On a computer I could carefully write up my idea and somehow transfer it to the forum every time the question appears--which lately seems to be about every 5 days. All I know is it makes sense and it works. Glad you understood it. d kraky