Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

RUM Dies. Which ones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Bronze Member

Re: RUM Dies. Which ones?

Brent, you answered part of my queston already. Are you going to modify the length of the freebore or change the throat angle?Thanks, Al
Old 02-23-2003, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Al,

I'm going to throat it for the 180 Nosler Ballistic Tip, which happens to have the same OAL as the 220gr SMK when both are seated with the leading edge of the boattail even with the neck and shoulder junction. The ogive on the 220gr SMK dictates that it will need to be seated .050" deeper though.

If I throat it for this bullet I can still squeeze the 165gr bullets in there. I want to stay on the lands without loosing too much bearing surface on the case neck if I use the 165's and want to mag load them at some point.

It will be 1.5 degree on the throat angle and have a removable pilot so I can use it with a seperate neck and throat reamer for the 338 Lapua Imp when I build one for myself.

Sheldon,

I'll give you a rundown on what this is costing me for the chambering I'm having done.

Dies... about 330 with shipping, Neil Jones.
Reamer. about 150 with shipping, Pacific Tool.
Brass.. 145 with shipping, Brunos.(338 Lapua)

If you need to turn necks add these;

Neck turner w/carbide pilot.. 88
Expandiron die.. 15
Ball mic... 98 all three from K&M w/o ship.

And yes, if the neck has +.002 total clearance you won't fit factory ammo in it. It can however be opened up later if for some reaason you wanted it to, cost is 66 bucks for the neck and throat reamer plus cost of having it done.

If Neil does the dies for you, he will send you a neck die based on the reamer drawing Dave kiff or you send him, so now you have a means to load them a few times. After you load them 3 times he wants a few "well formed" cases and the neck die back to make an insert that exactly matches "your" chamber but will minimally size the case body by .001" and bump the shoulder the amount needed.

If you don't have Neil do them and have Newlon die blanks ($50 ea) reamed, you'll need another "die" reamer ($135) that is smaller to do the dies with, and also bushings.

You can get mag boxes from Brownells for the 700 that are 3.91" long, if you need a repeater.

I haven't seen a picture of the Tommy compared to the Ultra, but whatever speed these guys are getting over the Ultra just has to be weighed against the investment.

I figured I'd go with the Lapua case and have the better brass and a bit more capacity for the money invested, then I already have a reamer to do my 338 Lapua Imp when I'm ready too, saving more money in the long run.

The other option is to find a "tighter" neck chamber reamer to rent or just buy one to work with factory dies, this way you'll get a tighter neck but not have to turn necks.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:08 AM
Gold Member

Hey Brent is that 30-338 Laupa you having built for the wife a 30 wolf? I know that if it is you'll have to try it out for her, just to make sure it shoots right [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. Does a year of testing sound about right? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

Texas,

yes it's hers but it will need some load development. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I'm not sure what the difference between it and the Wolf are, but it can't be much. Minimum body taper, 35 degree shoulder and minimum neck length.

I have the brass now so I'll figure out the details pretty quick now.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Bronze Member

Brent, whats your cartridge O.A.L end up at? I've been loading mine with 180g Partition Golds, loaded to max length to fit the mag their .080" away from the lands. Regular partitions are .020". Not sure if I want to go the extended mag route or short throat, tight neck this puppy. I'ts strictly my "lite" elk rifle, gonna let my son use it this season. I've finished making the arbors to true the action, and do machine work on the bolt, barrel won't be here for a few more months. Thanks
Old 02-23-2003, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Sheldon

Get a copy of Precision Reloading and Shooting Handbook by Sinclair int. Costs under $20, but takes you through the steps in starting precision reloading for both standard and match tight neck chambers. Talks about neck turning, seating depths, adjusting dies, sorting brass etc. Best money you will spend in getting into this game!

Forget RSBS dies. Tolerances are not good enough for serious LR or match work. Too many reamed off center for precision work. Buy either the Forester Bonanza BR dies, Redding Comp set, Neil Jones or custom made dies with a resize reamer(normally about .003 under chamber reamer size). You will find guys that say they use a chamber reamer to make a resize die, but all they have is a resize die exactly the size of their chamber that is incapable of resizing even .001. Only fooling themselves doing it that way.

Both Neil Jones and Jim Carstensen make the fl size die off your fired brass by putting an undersize insert into a die body that gives you the resize capability. The NJ dies use a shoulder bushing to bump the shoulder while sizing the neck and the Carstensen use either Redding or Wilson neck bushing. Both cost $175 for the FL die.

Carstenson can modify any set of dies for neck bushings for $35. Great deal.

BH
Old 02-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Al,

Which one are you talking about, the 300 Ultra or the 30/338 Lapua Imp I described above, so that we are on the same page?

I did some figuring on a program of mine that will determine case capacity from measurements, and I found some interesting things checking the following cases; 338 Lapua, 338 Lapua Imp, 338/416 Rigby Imp, 338/416 Rigby “Super” Imp, 300/338 Lapua “Super” Imp, 300 Ultra and 300 Ultra “Super” Imp.

I measured the water capacity of the ones I had on hand, those were the 338 Lapua, 300 Ultra and the 338/416 Rigby Imp. I verified the capacities with the program and they did match with a very slight alteration to case thickness at the base, the rest I calculated on the program only modifying the length to bottom and top of the shoulder as well as width of the body at the shoulder. The neck was reduced on the 30/338 Lapua Imp as well.

The 300 Ultra “Super” Imp, it was the only one that showed it would not be worth it to me, an increase of ONLY 1.6grs capacity was obtained, and that was with a .260 long neck, .008 per inch taper, .018” total, and a 35 deg shoulder, something I consider just about maximizes the original case, hence the “Super”.

I moved the shoulder forward .100” on the 338/416 Rigby, which has a long neck to start with, and reduced the total taper from .024” to .020”, this took capacity from 138gr to 143.3gr water. This was a worthwhile improvement, I thought.

I ended up with 119.8gr capacity on the 30/338 Lapua “Super” Imp using .018” total taper and .280” long neck and a 35 degree shoulder. The same design necked up to 338 gave me 120.6gr capacity, only the neck will be about .260” long.

Case capacity in the 338 Lapua was 112.3gr (virgin cases), the 300 Ultra was 115.5 fire formed and 117.1gr improved.

Thought you all might find this a little interesting. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]