Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

RUM Dies. Which ones?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

RUM Dies. Which ones?

Can anyone suggest dies for a .300 RUM? Are you guys all using Redding with bushings? Are they even available? If so, what bushings should we get? My buddy just bought a 700 .300 RUM. I was planning on building the Tomahawk, but I may stick with a RUM so we can try and find a load that works well with both guns and be done with it. We rarely hunt separately. Is anyone here using a match chamber in .300 UM? Does one even exist?

What about the Tomahawk? Is there only one choice in deis, a custom order from Huntington's?
Old 02-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Writers Guild

Re: RUM Dies. Which ones?

Sheldon, if you have access to a lathe, you can modify the Lee Collet neck die to work. Get a 300Wby die and open up the die body to 9/16" or so. I made the mod and it does work on my range brass. Unfortunately, the chamber that was cut has an even larger neck and fired brass will not go into the neck portion of the die. I doubt this will be an issue with your factory or rechambered rifles. This was a gunsmith oops.

I had to get a RCBS neck sizing as a substitute. There are dies from Redding, etc. so take your pick. They all work but I really like the Lee Collet dies.

There is a match reamer being offered through MidwayUSA. This is produced by PFG or something like that. Contact Midway, they can provide specs or get you in contact with the reamer manf. I am sure there are others now that the RUM is being used in 1000yd BR shooting.

As to the Tomahawk, talk to Darryl. I think this was a wildcat that he and his gunsmith came up with. Sort of proprietory. The gunsmith has dies, etc. The big problem is that he is in the states.

Contact Prairie Gun Works and see what they have. If not, you could rent or buy your own reamer and go for it. You should ask about the throating for the 240gr bullets. The standard reamer will not allow the 240gr to be seated out.

Mine was cut a little too long (separate operation) but still seems to work. Could be why my neck dimensions are too big.

Jerry
Old 02-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

Sheldon

As for match chamber, all it takes is a reamer cut to those specs. Best guy to talk to about specs for one is Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Guage, (541) 826-5808. Him and one other guy (Manson) make about 75-90% of the BR reamers.

Custom BR micrometer seating dies can be made by Redding, Forester/Bonanza (about (50% cost of Redding and just as good) dies, or Neil Jones(www.neiljones.com) off the reamer specs if stock die is not available. Top cost is $100 for Neil Jones.

As for sizing die, you can have any of the above make a custom FL micrometer size die by sending 3 pieces of fired brass in your match chamber. NJ die is most expensive but the best ($175) and it uses shoulder bushings ($14) that neck size and bump the shoulder .002 instead of just regular neck bushing. Redding bushings go lower on neck than wilson bushing do also.

However, the FL size die cut for match chamber will oversize the standard chamber brass, so need two size dies. Never seen anyone able to load two guns accurately off the same set of dies without constantly changing setup. Pain in the butt. Better to have die sets.

You will not know what size bushing you need on any until you know what the fired case size is across the neck unless you tight neck, say .334-.336, then go .002 under that.

Jim Carstenson (advertises in Precision shooting magazine and on BR central) can modify any standard die to bushings (wilson or redding) for $35, not counting cost of bushing.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Sheldon,

I'm having Neil make my dies up for the 300/338 Lapua, they'll be $315 for the sizer and the seater. Not sure if he raised the price a bit, but that's what he quoted me.

Dave Kiff and Neil Jones are deffinatly the guys to talk to first, make your own decissions in the end, but I would diffinatly talk with them first just for the insight they offer. Both really nice guys to talk to, and freely share their experience and knowledge on this. The conversation I had with both them and also Ken at K&M were most enlightening to say the least, in this endever of mine using a tight neck (.002") chamber. Ken has a brain worth picking in this area just as much as Dave and Neil. A fifteen minute conversation with each one of these guys was probably the best advice I've gotten in along time.

They're all super nice guys, both knowledgable and helpfull is an understatement.

Dave gets $135 for a reamer with your specs, he'll help with the details and questions too. This is the easiest way to get what you want in my opinion, and it's sharp and new!

Enjoy,

[ 02-21-2003: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 02-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

Hey Brent, is your .300ultra a custom or is it a factory barrel? I'm getting ready to put togeather one with a Lilja barrel and have questons to reamer dimentions.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

My 300 Ultra is just a factory POS barrel, probably the worst I've ever owned too, the 30/338 Lapua I'm building for the wife, now that ones a Lilja. I have enough equipment for the Ultra now, I'll get a custom barrel this next winter for my switch barrel project. It will be a .333" neck custom improved chamber (new reamer) to my specs too.

What's the question on the reamer?
Old 02-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys.

Sorry about the two guns, one type of ammo, I was just wondering how we would keep our ammo separate when hunting together. Maybe I'll have to mark my brass somehow. If I Tomahawk mine, that will at least allow us to tell them apart by eye. If we both go with the standard Ultra Mag, it will be more difficult.

So if I understand you all right, I get the seating die first, then fire some cases, then order the sizing die? How do I get the loaded rounds to shoot in my gun to take measurements from? If I use a tight neck chamber, i won't even be able to use factory Rem ammo, will I? If it was standard chamber, then I'd say yes.

Forgive my amateur questions. I've loaded 1000's of rounds, and have done some precision shooting, but I'm afraid I have always used standard RCBS dies. Other than buying and wathcing an advanced reloading video produced by the Varmint Hunters' Association, I have no knowledge of BR loading techniques. I'm anxious to learn though.

One of the questions that has been plaguing me since ordering this barrel, is the repeater/single shot thing. I know Daryl uses a single shot, but I don't think Boyd does in his Sendero. I think his is a repeater. But he's using 240's I think, so they must be seated really deep. Maybe he's using a single shot follower? Maybe I should ask Boyd? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I want a repeater based on a 700 action or custom action not to exceed the cost of a whole new rifle (I won't use the stock or barrel anyway). I will settle for the regular Ultramag if I have to, to get it. If the Tomahawk will work and feed and still allow me to shoot 240's at significantly higher velocities than the regular UM, then I want a Tomahawk!

Last edited by Sheldon; 08-30-2009 at 04:12 PM.