Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ruger M77MKII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Bronze Member

Ruger M77MKII

I have been talking about working with this rifle for quite some time. Well hopefully I will be home long enough after this deployment to actually proceed with it. I am going to try and start with a new stock, new rings and new optics. I am going to do all of this with the thought of producing a 600 yards hunting rifle, so I am thinking a 4X14 variable should do the trick. Eventually down the line I am going to have a new barrel put on, I will stick with the 300 Win Mag configuration due to the amount of bullets and brass I already have. This has been a very good shooting setup, but it is not really setup for the longer ranges, I bought it in Alaska and used it with great success on caribou and grizzly bear, which is why it wears a Leupold VX III 2.5-8X36 scope in the original Ruger rings. This rifle really like 180-208gr bullets pushed hard, accuracy drops off if I drop the loads too much. I actually want to bring the wait up just a little to make my range sessions a little more pleasant. Currently I am shooting the Hornady 208gr A-Max bullets and IMR7828SSC, but am going to try some RL22 or RL25 to see if I can get the groups down to .75" or less at 100, I will see how they do at 300 and longer as well. I keep toying with the idea of buying a new rifle, but I really like this one, and I have the trigger how I like it, so I really want to work with what I have.

Dave
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ruger M77MKII

Dave, I have a Ruger in 338wm that I just love, But it's just to much hassle trying to do things with it. Like the stupid ring base combo, a stock availability and after market parts in general. I went out and bought a Savage S/S 338wm as the after market is much better. Better yet would a Remington (I just cant stand them). You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a company advertisment that makes parts for Remington. Besides, It's a good reason for new/used gun And your already kicking the idea around. JMHO

Gene
Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Ruger M77MKII

If you Comfortable with this rifle and it shoots good I would stick with it. You can always tinker with your loads, bullet seating depths, etc. And maybe improve the accuracy a little. You can get the action trued and bedded also may help if not already done
On the other hand, a man always needs a new rifle.
FE