Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ruger M77 Tang safety. Uncanny accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ruger M77 Tang safety. Uncanny accuracy

I'm very pleased with mine. I've got less than 400 bucks in the gun and about 250 in the scope and rings. I'm in the hills of Tennessee and shots beyond 450-500 yards are kinda rare. Especially around the mountains. Most places I coyote hunt have max ranges of about 350. This setup is more than capable. Extremely pleased
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

The early model 77's had the tang safties and were generally great shooters. I had a bull barrel 77 in 25-06 that I bought used in a Houston pawn shop back in the mid-1980's. It shot .25 to .50 MOA all day long with anything from 87 grain on up to 120 grain bullets.

The later model Rugers did a nose dive in quality control and Ruger lost its reputation for accuracy with their model 77's.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

I too at one time had a super accurate M77V, in 22-250. It would frequently, and predictably shot groups that rivaled bench rest rifles. I was told by someone a while back, that there was a period when a lot of the 77v's had Douglass Supreme barrels. Whether that is fact or fiction, I don't know, but I do know that I wish I had that thing back. It also had a gorgeous piece of wood also!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

My 2 stainless skeletons will stay just like they are, which is how they came from the factory. The 7mm-08 was my first bolt-action deer rifle when I was about 12. Dad bought it brand new for me for Christmas that year. That was 15 years ago. That thing loves the 139gr Hornady SST's. I just loaded up some 140gr Accubonds to try in it, but always seem to forget to take it to the range with me. LOL It still has the old Tasco World Class 3-9x50 sitting on top of it, back when Tasco was still decent scopes.

Got it's big brother (7mm RemMag) when I was working at the outdoors store 11 years ago. Both are nasty accurate. I believe the 7Mag was made somewhere around the same time frame as the 7mm-08. I think I remember calling the Ruger with the S/N to find a mfg date. But that's been so long ago that I can't remember specifics.

Either way, both of them will stay in their original factory form, b/c they are rarity these days, and are both tack-drivers. Even though the actions would make great platforms to build a couple customs off of.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

I looked on ruger's website concerning serial numbers. I believe it to be around early 80's model gun. It's pretty heavy but I don't mind. Fat girls need lovin too
Old 03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigBolin51 View Post
I looked on ruger's website concerning serial numbers. I believe it to be around early 80's model gun. It's pretty heavy but I don't mind. Fat girls need lovin too

rofl on the latter comment.

I've got two ruger rifles and both are moa pipes on a bad day. My #1 in 338 will often act like a varmint rifle when it feels froggy. Even when she's mad at me she'll still put up moa and she's got the hard pad, a 3-9X Nikon, and no brake; so she's not set up for anything but putting meat in the back of the truck. My 77 is a 35 whelen and she's a steady moa pipe to 200 yards.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't mind having a #1 in 7STW or .257 Wby Mag. I hear properly barreled they can be serious tackdrivers.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.