Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ruger M77 Magnum Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Ruger M77 Magnum Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Don't know a whole lot about it but the Browning AB3 in .300 Win Mag has 26" barrel for $599 MSRP (Browning Firearm, AB3 Composite Stalker, Item 035800229, UPC 023614398271)
Yeah, the AB3 looks like a cheap piece of junk you can buy in an arcade. I'd try to find a new or used A-Bolt II. Then again, not much aftermarket support for the Brownings either. However, both A-Bolt II's I've had were shooters, with no need for any aftermarket accessories, other than scope mounts and stuff.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 AM
Bronze Member

I think Browning made a marketing mistake. When they redesigned the A-bolt, they should have called it the A-bolt 3 not the x-bolt. And then they could have called the new cheap piece of junk the x-bolt instead of the AB-3. Was disappointed that the redesign didn't seem to do much except for increase the base price of the gun and then they filled the gap with junk to compete with everyone elses junk.

That doesn't change my opinion that the X-bolts are nice rifles. I just think you can shop for other options now.

OP seems to be looking at higher end (priced) guns. So, I agree with him that the Sendero is a nice rig, longer and heavier weight barrel than most other options is nice. I know two owners of the new 700 Long Range and they are very pleased with them though they are kinda ugly. Both guns seem to be shooters though neither is really broken in yet. They also offer a longer and heavier barrel than most factory rifles and a rock hard synthetic stock. My plan is to buy one to put under my next high end scope purchase.

Another piece of advice is if you have a budget for the new rifle, save on the gun and spend on the optics. A Sendero rifle with a cheap Simmons scope would make me sad...
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

I agree, they should have named the X-Bolt the AB3, and named the AB3 the X-Bolt. I don't care much for the X-Bolt rifles. And not a huge fan of the original A-Bolts either. I do like the A-Bolt II rifles alot. I'm having my A-Bolt II rebarreled at the moment, and probably gonna save up for a B&C Medalist stock to put it in.

The Sendero or 5R MilSpec would make a great option. They offer the 5R .300 WinMag in a 26" 1:10 twist, if you can find one. And that would also make for an excellent rifle.

I have quite a few Sendero rifles, and they are all shooters, granted, most are custom builds off of re-chambered and worked-over factory barrels, but they will still drive tacks.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksubuck View Post
I think Browning made a marketing mistake. When they redesigned the A-bolt, they should have called it the A-bolt 3 not the x-bolt. And then they could have called the new cheap piece of junk the x-bolt instead of the AB-3. Was disappointed that the redesign didn't seem to do much except for increase the base price of the gun and then they filled the gap with junk to compete with everyone elses junk.

That doesn't change my opinion that the X-bolts are nice rifles. I just think you can shop for other options now.

OP seems to be looking at higher end (priced) guns. So, I agree with him that the Sendero is a nice rig, longer and heavier weight barrel than most other options is nice. I know two owners of the new 700 Long Range and they are very pleased with them though they are kinda ugly. Both guns seem to be shooters though neither is really broken in yet. They also offer a longer and heavier barrel than most factory rifles and a rock hard synthetic stock. My plan is to buy one to put under my next high end scope purchase.

Another piece of advice is if you have a budget for the new rifle, save on the gun and spend on the optics. A Sendero rifle with a cheap Simmons scope would make me sad...
LL! CZ UHR in .300 Win Mag is an excellent rifle too at similar price range and includes MOA accuracy guarantee to 600 yards ... that's one bold guarantee.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.