Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Ruger M77 Magnum Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2014, 02:36 PM

Ruger M77 Magnum Hunter

This would be my first bolt gun, as I'm interested in getting into big game hunting with my friends.

I'm looking at purchasing a new bolt rifle for deer and pig for in state hunting (CA), with a potential to do out if state elk hunting in either Oregon or Utah. This morning I came across the Ruger Magnum Hunter, only avaliable in .300 WM, which is fine by me, it seems it would fit all my needs.

My question is, with the Hogue Overmold stock it comes with effecting the accuracy of the rifle. This would be used for hunting, not trying to shoot flys on a target 300 yards. I tried to do my research on the rifle for reviews, but it seems there really isn't a whole lot out there on the net currently. Anyone own one of these or have any pros and cons to say about it? Thanks for the input.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Ruger M77 Magnum Hunter

No experience with the Magnum Hunter version. Previously owned 2 different Ruger M77s and not real excited about either. They would be okay for what you say you want, a simple hunting rig. I have no idea what price they are asking for one but saw the MSRP at over a grand. I think you could do better looking at a Remington 700 long range or one of the savage bolts for less coin. And if you become an addict like the rest of us, you would be in a better position for modding a Rem or Savage into a true tack driver.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

I have an older Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM that fairly accurate Ruger M77 MKII Facelift and Range Report

I agree with ksubuck. My friend bought a Savage 111 Trophy XP in .300 Win Mag 2 years ago for $549 at our local Big R store. It has the accutrigger and came topped with 3-9x40 Nikon with BDC reticle. This set up should fit your intended purpose.

(5 shot at 100 yards using factory ammo - 180gr Barnes TSX)

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 AM

Thank you for the replies gents.

I was checking out thr Savage last night actually, as well as the Remington Sendero. My question to all of you, how does Savage make their rifles so affordable? Where are they cutting corners or are they not and just willing to sell at a high volume to make up the difference in profit if they were to sell their rifles for another $200-$300 bucks?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

you can not go wrong with the sendero. are you looking for a rifle with wood stock/blue metal or stainless/ sythetic ??
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

I'll stick to my Rem 700's. Salvage is not a brand that will ever be inside my gunsafe, unless I win it, inherit it, or it was a gift. I will not spend my own money on one.

But I am also a die-hard 700 fan (always have been), but have become very biased based on the number of Savages we had to send back to the mfg, back when I sold guns many moons ago.

The two most common items we had to send back was Leupold optics being too fragile, and Savage rifles due to lack of accuracy. You can call me a liar if you want, won't bother me...But I do know what was in the boxes that I packaged back up and sent to the manufacturers, and the unhappy customers I personally talked to and dealt with.

Savage might have stepped their game up since then, but my experiences in dealing with the many unhappy customers left a permanent bad taste in my mouth.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

How did this ended up Remington vs Savage again?

We should be thankful we have choices.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.