Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ruger M77 as a Long Range Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Ruger M77 as a Long Range Rifle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
The Ruger can be made to shoot ok but dont expect to win many competitions with it.
I've got three Rugers currently thet shoot good but had a 308VLE that was a dog that wouldnt hunt.....A new barrel was the last resort but traded it off to another Ruger fan that thought he could get it to shoot=He failed to get it shooting too.
#1The old tang 7mag has trouble going much under an inch @ 100 but is stays minute of goat/deer/elk to 600 consistantly and has become my go to carry rig.
#2The old sporter tang 243 got rebarreled with an 8 twist 22-250. Kinda fussy about what it likes but does well with 75 grain amaxes and H414 powder.
#3 The old tang was pickt up used in 308Baer with a few modification but has since ben rebarreled to 338 edge and a Sightron 20x scope with 150moa of travel.
#4 bought the 223 V for doggin with back when they first came out, had it rechambered with a shorter throat for 40 grain vmaxes when it was still new. With 6450 rounds threw it I sold it to my shooting partner that still hits more dogs than he misses.
The biggest downside to the Rugers has been the scope bases. It can be difficult to get a 34mm scope mounted and you have to use a scope with a lot of travel as the bases dont allow much adjustment.

I just picked up a rear tang safety 7mag as well, stock has a few places where the leather has worn the finish but action is smooth as silk, i have been looking for one at a good price for a while and came across a few but decided to hold off till i found one without the ring system and i did. I havnt looked for any 20moa bases yet but sure there out there. Its going to be my next build but will leave the iron sights on it and use that way for a while. Not sure on caliber yet, was thinking on the 7mag but really want an edge as well, please share how you like your ruger 338 edge, and the components you have used if you dont mind.

I love all my ruger handguns, long guns, and shotgun. I have only had one to date that wouldnt shoot under a minute and it was a hornet in the target setup but with 24" barrel instead of the 26, i sent it back to ruger and 2 wks later i got it back and it shot 3/4moa. Headspace issues.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

If you noticed on post #4 I used a Ruger-to-Weaver adapter on mine to give me a little more flexibility ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
If you noticed on post #4 I used a Ruger-to-Weaver adapter on mine to give me a little more flexibility ...

Where did you get that? 1st I ever seen.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

I've gone through 2 sets of bases trying to keep the scope on the Ruger Edge. One set was Ruger 30mm and the other a set of Leupolds 30mm. In all fairness these rings had some age on them and had ben swapped around a few times. The 338 Edge with a good brake is hard on one screw scope mounts and as tuff as Rugers are the the weak link is the one little screw that holds the bases to the action! Burris use to make a 2 screw base that would give you a little windage adjustment but have not made them in years.
Murphy Precision MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories. makes the best solution to the base issue but you have to drill and tap your action.....If the set of bases on the Edge fails again I'm going to go this route. If your not carefull you can easily spend more $$$, time and agrivation on the bases than you paid for the Ruger in the first place.
The 338Edge I built used an action that had been modified a little. You can see in the pic the Ruger front lug was shaved and a Remington/Savage style recoil lug was used. The original trigger has been replaced. It also was set up as a single shot because there is no reasonable way a Ruger long action will cycle anything much longer than 7mag or 300WM. I have to pull the bolt to get an unfired 308 Baer or 338 Edge out of the action.

Personaly I would never put this kind of work into a Ruger. IMHO They make great hunting rifles but are a poor platform for long range /target units.
The last dozen rifles I've aquired have all been Savages.....Much easier for me to work on and a whole lot cheaper.......Depending on how you do it!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

What kind of accuracy you get out of your ruger edge?

Here is a good looking base for the 77 with the built in bases.

Leatherwood Hi-Lux 1-Piece Tactical Picatinny-Style Scope Base Ruger

Here is one that fits the ones without built in bases Ruger M-77 Picatinny Rail Mount: Evolution Gun Works Inc.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Where did you get that? 1st I ever seen.
Burris Ruger to Weaver Redhawk Gloss Black Base Adapters (use with Zee Rings) FREE S&H 410990, 410991, 410992. Burris Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.