Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Ruger #1 Re-chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Ruger #1 Re-chamber?

Who would be able to rechamber it. The reason would be that it is cheaper than a new barrel.

JOe Oakes
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

First, I am not sure any gunsmith will give you their normal accuracy guarantee being as it is a #1 and because it is using the factory barrel.

I do not know the west coast gunsmiths other than the ones on this site. If you want to drive it somewhere then Shawn Carlock is the closest and you could send him an email about it and see what he has to say.

Remember that the front quarter rib screw holes in the barrel have to remain lined up or else you are in big trouble so I would not let just any ole body do this work. You need somebody who will get it right or make it right.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

I don't cut the hanger off and you can't becuase of the main spring. Just under the far end(muzzle direction) of the main spring attachment I mill a flat on top of the hanger and drill a clearance hole and then drill and tap a barrel in the bottom of the barrel. Make a "washer" that is contoured to fit between the bottom of the barrel and the flat on top of the hanger. Drill a through hole in the square spacer/washer and put the screw the clearance hole in the hanger and washer and into the threaded hole in the barrel. The screw head can't stick up much or it will interfere with the mainspring. I usually epoxy bed the top of the washer to maintain full contact with the bottom of the barrel. It seems to work better than the tension screws and other ways of dealing with the hanger/forearm issue that is common with the #1's. Then you can bed and free float the wood off the barrel.