Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

RSI Shooting Lab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Bronze Member
Re: RSI Shooting Lab

I cut the case at the center on a lathe to insure the case was square. I use your same procedure to find the position of the chamber that you do, except I have a set of collars that I can slip on my cleaning rod and lock in place. I use the collars to check O.A.L of cartridges. I have a jag that is faced square, close the bolt on the half cartridge, slide the rod into the bore, lock the collar at the muzzle. When I remove the rod I can place the collar against the muzle (O.D. of the collar is big enough) and scribe a line on the barrel to locate the strain gauge. The barrel isn't tapered at this point, so I can get a very accurate measurement of the barrel O.D. On the .270WSM, I did read the instructions [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and place the gauge an extra .125" foward to the muzzle to get the gauge 3/8" away from the reciever ring. Haven't had the time to shoot it just yet, I'm getting ready for the benchrest season here.

Unread 04-30-2005, 02:19 AM
Platinum Member

I haven't seen the instructions for quite some time, may be even out of date the ones I have but, sounds like you've got a handle on things very well, also have given me some good tips too! Thanks. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Keep in touch.
Brent Moffitt
Unread 10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Gold Member

I have a mac laptop that I would love using both in the field and at the reloading bench. I have used exbal, but it is not being made for a mac. Therefore I am in search of another program, if there is one on the same level as exbal. I know that the RSI shooting lab is written for the window system too, and I am wondering if anyone has used this ballistics program. If so, how accurate is it and how well does it perform. Any help would be greatly appreciated. RSI Shooting Lab is their website. There is a 30-day demo if someone would download it and look at it and tell me what they think about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris... I came across this while browsing.
I don't know if you have used RSI yet, but I have been using it for years, both on a Mac and (now PC). It is without doubt the best software around.
Here, kitty kitty kitty.

LRH member #23