Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which round, which rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which round, which rifle?

Sako flat out makes a GOOD rifle, no ifs ands or buts about it. I am not a Sako fanboi or anything like that, in fact I am a bit of a "Whore" in that I like many different brands Savage is good, Winchester is solid these days, Howa / Vanguard are sweet shooters as well. I have a friend who bought a Tikka in 25-06 and it shoots very well out of the box with oem ammo.

7mmRM is an absolute time proven performer no doubt about it. The 7mm WSM as chambered by Winchester is also rock solid. Hard to go wrong for sure. Another real nice round is the 270 WSM, just sort of fyi.

The Ruger American Rifle™ Bolt-Action Rifle Models
This looks promising .... I have no first hand experience with it, but from what I have read, and from what I can discern it really might become a nice hunters tool! I am really seriously considering picking one up to tinker with

Good Shooting sir,
Gary
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 PM
Silver Member

I would seriously consider a 7mm Rem. Mag., you can get ammo almost anywhere, they are accurate and powerful. Your bullet selection is very good also. The more you shoot, the more you will want to reload and that is were you can pick up at little more power and accuracy and quality bullets. Now all you have to do is pick the make of rifle you want, I like Remington 700's and Winchester model 70's, but there are a lot of good quality rifles out there now of many manufacturers. I don't thing there is a bad choice, just your personal preference.
FE
Old 03-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diriel View Post
Sako flat out makes a GOOD rifle, no ifs ands or buts about it. I am not a Sako fanboi or anything like that, in fact I am a bit of a "Whore" in that I like many different brands Savage is good, Winchester is solid these days, Howa / Vanguard are sweet shooters as well. I have a friend who bought a Tikka in 25-06 and it shoots very well out of the box with oem ammo.

7mmRM is an absolute time proven performer no doubt about it. The 7mm WSM as chambered by Winchester is also rock solid. Hard to go wrong for sure. Another real nice round is the 270 WSM, just sort of fyi.

The Ruger American Rifle™ Bolt-Action Rifle Models
This looks promising .... I have no first hand experience with it, but from what I have read, and from what I can discern it really might become a nice hunters tool! I am really seriously considering picking one up to tinker with
Good Shooting sir,
Gary
diriel,
I looked a the new ruger the past weekend and it has a super smooth action, smoother than a M77, but I am a traditionalist, I didn't like the stock on it, didn't feel good and lacks in looks, but I doubt that will hurt performance at all. Overall looked to be a very nice rifle.
FE
Old 03-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Gold Member

It seem s to me that if you're shooting an M110 regularly you shouldn't need advice from this group. You haven't mentioned what terrain, conditions, distances, and targets you want to shoot. I'd just take every opportunity to shoot the M110 and absorb all the training you can convince the military to give you.

There is no best rifle or cartridge. Only some that are more suitable for certain applications than others. Take the opportunity you're being given to learn all you can to make yourself the best shooter you can. Then you'll make a better choice for yourself than anyone can recommend for you.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM

There isn't a military rifle I would take hunting. The m110 has way to much weight and rails to make it a practical hunter. And I don't like where the charging handle is. It does it's job and accommodates all the accessories that you can find for it but I won't be using a night optic or a suppressor or even need a semi-auto. And the biggest thing is that it isn't mine, it doesn't come home with me.

I'm just looking for something that shoots a sub 1" moa has good recoil is going to work forever and be something I am proud of in a rifle.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

@FE - Thanks for the input on the Ruger American! I think I will pick up one of those in .308 to play with.

Ok back on topic:

Since you mentioned the Sako TRG...hey those things are seriously well built. If you can afford one it would be real tough to beat.

The next on my personal list would likely be a Winchester, or a Howa if we are talking about magnums.

Gary
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

You need to understand... I am a huge fan of Savage, but if I ever had a chance to sell my Savage and get a Sako TRG22, I would do it in a heartbeat. They are currently used by many European nations as the issued sniper rifle. They are built to last and accurate. If you want a good Savage, then choose any of the Model 12 models in .308 or any of the Military/Police model 10's. The Mod 12FV in SS is a great starting platform and really only needs a stock upgrade. There are a bunch of options out there.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!