Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which round, which rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM

I am shopping for a new rifle to take to the range and hunt with. I doubt I will need anything past 600m hunting but would like to get about 1000m on a range shooting targets. *I would like it to be a semi light and packable rifle thats highly accurate out of the box or if need be can have some work done to be a very good reliable rifle. While price is a concern it's lower on the list of importance.*

I have looked at a variety of calibers from .260, .270, .280, .308, 6.5 creedmore, 7mm, 30-06, and 300win mag and feel a .308 would be the most practical round seeing as there is a large selection of ammo available. *I also shoot this round regularly in the military out of a m110, so I am more familiar with it. * But I am not totally sold and am more then willing to look at or reconsider other rounds.

My biggest problem is which rifle to go with...I have been looking *closely at a remington 700 or a sako a7/trg22 or a kimber and I have learned a little about the savages with interchanging barrels that has some appeal since I would be able to change between, say a .308 and .300 win mag? Maybe the 6.5 creedmore as well. A AR style is also an option but I have not researched them

And then I have some areas that I do not know a lot about but would be interested in finding more information such as, would you recommend a muzzle break? Recrowning?changes to the trigger? What stock would go well with this if not the factory? Or any other suggestions for improvement?*

Thank you for your time and opinions and help!*

Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: Which round, which rifle?

To be honest, the good old 25-06 is a stone cold killing machine out to right about 550m or so, and it is pretty reasonable on recoil. You have to reload to get that kind of performance I believe. The Berger 115 bullets and H1000 or H4831SC, or IMR7828SSC are really nice.

That being said, if you can tolerate the recoil of the 300wm then it will hammer out to right around 1k or so... for a certain series of "Prices"

The 7mm RM of course is also great..

The 30-06 "is never a mistake" according to the immortal Townsend Wheelen.

The 6.5's are really nice, and I am very much a fan of them. The .260, 6.5 Creedmore, and the 6.5x47 Lapua are all very nice, and would likely do what you need.

While I love the .308, for me it more or less runs out of steam around 450m or so for conservative shots on animals. I do not enjoy tracking wounded animals for hours on end.

Decisions and Choices!
Gary
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member

a remington sendero or 5-r. 7mm mag or 300 win mag. soon er or later you will want to reload your own.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 PM
Bronze Member

There are lots of calibers that will meet your needs, but I would suggest either a 30-06 or 7mm rem mag. Both are very popular calibers with a large selection of bullets and don't have crazy recoil.
I have a Savage 116 in 7mm rem mag that I really like. It was pretty cheap and shoots one MOA with cheap Winchester ammo with a Bushnell elite 4200 scope on it and I'm sure its capable of shooting tighter groups with more expensive ammo or if I learned how to handload and figured out what the gun really likes, but it's present accuracy more than meets my needs for hunting.
My advice is to buy a savage and the best scope you can afford and from there you can upgrade the barrel and stock if you're not happy with its out of the box performance.
Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member

I would suggest you look at the savage rifles. Several models that would suffice depending on your weight limits. the palma, F class or one of the varmint models. All at $1000 or under

308 is by far easier to load and get to shoot and you are already familiar with the ballistics. However, for LR in the 308 the go to bullet has turned out to be the Berger 185 which is much better than the 118LR or the 175 SMK. Will be flatter and hold inside the wind compared to the others.

Second barrel in any caliber for LR hunting can be had for $300 chambered. Add another $30 for interchangable bolt face. Even second stock can be had for little money.

As for second caliber, you want at least the 300 Win mag, 300 WSM or larger or a 7mm of at least 7mm Rem mag size. If a 7mm you want the long throat for the 180s. Prechambered barrel can be hand throated by competant smith for the longer bullet.

Go to www.savageshooters.com to see all the options and vendors of barrels, stocks and guns.

BH
Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

No contest, the TRG 22 would be my choice hands down! If you can afford it.... get it!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 PM

So I am following some of the leads on savages but really would like some info on a sako? And also really reconsidering a 7mm