Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

RL33 Temperature Regression Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

RL33 Temperature Regression Thread

Thought I would start this thread to get some good collective data on RL33 stability or temp sensitivity. Would like to get some results from others as well (collective data).

How did you go about your testing and what chrony did you use, conditons, etc.

The other day I went to the range to do some load development and while there shot some temp test rounds through the 300 RUM and 6-284. Abient temp was 20* and did some cold soaking to get the cold temp rounds down to that temp. I put the warm loads on the floor of my vehichle and maintained 75* after loading them inside at a temp of ~ 70*. Shot the cold rounds first letting the barrel cool between shots, then right after the last cold shot, I fired the warm rounds at a faster rate to keep the barrel warm. Chrony used was a MagnetoSpeed

300 RUM results, 230 hybrid Targets over 96 gr of RL33, 27" 5C Broughton.
Note: Warm loads showed signs of excessive pressure

Cold rounds, 20*..... 3101, 3082, 3095.. Avg, 3092
Warm rounds, 75* .. 3170, 3142, 3158.. Avg, 3157
Avg fps/degree diff = 1.18 fps/degree

6-284 results, 105 Hybrid targets over 60 gr RL33, 26" 5C Broughton (low pressure load)
Note: First cold round was out of a freshly cleaned bore and showed signs of higher pressure, but not excessive. Could have been some left over cleaning residue in the bore.

Cold rounds, 20*.... 3342, 3302, 3287.. Avg, 3310 (without first shot 3295)
Warm rounds, 75*.. 3340, 3309, 3331.. Avg 3327
Avg fps/degree diff, 0.31 fps/degree
Avg diff without 1st shot, 0.58 fps per degree

I plan to do some more testing with the RUM when I get some new brass. I have some test rounds loded in the 6.5 WSM and will fire a few more through the 6-284 as well.

If you have any data to add, please do.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: RL33 Temperature Regression Thread

Talk about testing for MY rifles! I shoot both of those chamberings with same bullets and also use RL-33. Interesting how the 6mm-284 didn't change much.

Looking forward to more of your testing.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

I know that 25 and (especially) 22 can be very finnicky/temperamental when it comes to temperature. But being that my inital testing has shown both of those formulations to be (way?) too fast for my new 32" 7RUM barrel, it looks like I'm all in with 33, at least until they come out with the RL30 formulation (if that ever happens). Consider this to be the 1st (that I know of) request for RL30, Alliant!

I only have hot-temperature RL33 load data for the factory rem 26" barrel. So I'm unable to directly compare to the new barrel. But I am definitely seeing the potential of 33. Nice 139SST groups with 100gr, and going to be trying 102.5 and 105 (my self-imposed limit) soon - depending on how much more snow we get hit with here today!

I want to avoid a replay of the "develop-your-max-loads-during-peak-cold-and-they-will-be-too-high-pressure-when-peak-hot-season-comes" scenario. But RL33 does seem to be very forgiving, or non-finnicky, when it comes to giving-or-taking a couple of grains. I HATE to see that is as bad as your testing shows, with regard to temperature though. I wouldn't have figured that. But good to know, as I won't have any such data of my own until this summer.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Talk about testing for MY rifles! I shoot both of those chamberings with same bullets and also use RL-33. Interesting how the 6mm-284 didn't change much.

Looking forward to more of your testing.
It might be that since the warm 300 RUM loads were apparently near max that there was a pressure spike. When new brass gets in I'll do some more testing to confirm or contradict.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I know that 25 and (especially) 22 can be very finnicky/temperamental when it comes to temperature. But being that my inital testing has shown both of those formulations to be (way?) too fast for my new 32" 7RUM barrel, it looks like I'm all in with 33, at least until they come out with the RL30 formulation (if that ever happens). Consider this to be the 1st (that I know of) request for RL30, Alliant!

I only have hot-temperature RL33 load data for the factory rem 26" barrel. So I'm unable to directly compare to the new barrel. But I am definitely seeing the potential of 33. Nice 139SST groups with 100gr, and going to be trying 102.5 and 105 (my self-imposed limit) soon - depending on how much more snow we get hit with here today!

I want to avoid a replay of the "develop-your-max-loads-during-peak-cold-and-they-will-be-too-high-pressure-when-peak-hot-season-comes" scenario. But RL33 does seem to be very forgiving, or non-finnicky, when it comes to giving-or-taking a couple of grains. I HATE to see that is as bad as your testing shows, with regard to temperature though. I wouldn't have figured that. But good to know, as I won't have any such data of my own until this summer.
Not really enough data to come to any strong conclusions one way or another. As mentioned there could have been a pressure spike due to an apparently max load in the RUM. The 6-284 results are good IMO but also still need some more data to confirm the results.

Hoping some other guys will get out there and share some results.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
300 RUM results, 230 hybrid Targets over 96 gr of RL33, 27" 5C Broughton.

Note: Warm loads showed signs of excessive pressure
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am curious as to what kind of sign your RUM shows you when pressure is exessive. Pressure sign from my R700 7RUM is COMPLETELY different from what my S110 (7RM) shows. I'd like to know if it is a rem thing, or a RUM thing, or neither. What I'm referring to in particular is what I call primer flow-back (into the bolt-face FP hole). Many refer to it as a "cratered" or "splashed" primer. I can't remember the sav EVER showing that sort of sign.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am curious as to what kind of sign your RUM shows you when pressure is exessive. Pressure sign from my R700 7RUM is COMPLETELY different from what my S110 (7RM) shows. I'd like to know if it is a rem thing, or a RUM thing, or neither. What I'm referring to in particular is what I call primer flow-back (into the bolt-face FP hole). Many refer to it as a "cratered" or "splashed" primer. I can't remember the sav EVER showing that sort of sign.
PM sent

~ John Quincy Adams