Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Right Bullet for Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Bullet for Deer

The 110 Accubond out of the .257 Wby works perfect at around the 100 yard range. I will find out how the Berger 115 VLD's do on deer this year. They group tighter than the Accubonds do, in my gun...So, hopefully they'll work just as good or better.

I recommend either of those 2.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Gold Member

I know ive shot at least 30 deer with the 257 using 100 gain sierra prohunters. Why? because thats what my gun shoots best. Out of all those deer ive yet to loose one and never noticed any more meat damage then any other caliber or bullet. Dont shoot the meat and you seldom have meat damage.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
I know ive shot at least 30 deer with the 257 using 100 gain sierra prohunters. Why? because thats what my gun shoots best. Out of all those deer ive yet to loose one and never noticed any more meat damage then any other caliber or bullet. Dont shoot the meat and you seldom have meat damage.
Yep! That's why I shoot them in the ribs just behind the shoulder. I do that with every caliber. Plus, your processor (or yourself) will thank you, because you don't have to go digging around for bullets in the meat.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
the last doe I shot with the .257 Wby the 110 NAB stayed together and exited through both sides
That some pretty tricky shooting.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Bullet placement is all you need, for sure.....
Old 07-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
Yeah, me and my buddy (who happens to also be my processor ), went digging around in the ribs and it never even broke a rib. Went straight in 1 side between 2 ribs, jellyed up the heart & lungs, and exited about 6" further back (she was standing at about a 35* angle from broadside), and went right between two other ribs on the far side. Never busted a rib. My buddy was shocked at how sloshy the insides were for how small the bullet was, and how it had virtually 0 meat damage. He said he'd never seen anything like it. It looked like a grenade went off in its heart & both lungs.

He cleans and processes about 1,000 deer a year, and has for the last 15-20 years, and he'll tell you he's still never seen anything like that before.

We all get lucky every now and then.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
I get it. It exited BOTH sides.

My buddy shot a deer ONE time and it had two entrance and two exit holes.
He was using a 25-06 with a 115 partition. He shot the deer through one shoulder and it had an exit in the other shoulder. The deer had it's neck bent back down it's side biting at it's side so it had an entrance hole in it's neck and and exit hole out the other side. It was really DEAD where it stood.