Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Right Bullet for Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

Right Bullet for Deer

I am new here (as far as being a member) but have looked around for several years.
I have just bought a Remington 700 SF 257 WBY mag and it will be used for deer and speed goats only. I am planning to use 100 gr bullets. I am working with R22, IMR 7828, and R25 powders and getting approx 3600-3650 FPS.
I am starting to load for it right now and have some Barnes TTXS, and Nosler Partitions. The TTXS have not really shown anything yet (but I will admit I am just starting). I called Nosler and they said that the Part would not stay together very well at that speed. I am getting around 1.5" @ 100 groups out of the TTXS with R25 (which is the best to date). Like I said, I have just started and only have approx 25 rounds total down the barrel.

My question is this, IF the TTXS does not want to shoot, and the Part will not stay together, what have y'all (I am form the south) found that will work for what I am wanting to do?

Thanks for the help

John
Old 07-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Right Bullet for Deer

I have a Weatherby Accumark .257 Wby Mag, and I shoot the Nosler 110 Accubonds and Berger 115 VLD's. I have had great luck with both as my rifle has a 1:10 twist barrel so it likes the heavier bullets. I have worked with RL19, RL22, and H1000 so far. I have 1 lb of IMR 7828 SSC sitting on the bench, but haven't loaded anything with it yet. I need to do that this weekend and go test it out.

I will report back my findings.

If you would like load data for the 110 NAB's and Berger 115 VLD's, I can post it up when I get home from work.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Bronze Member

What kinda vel are you getting with the 110's?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

With the 110 NAB's, right around 3,426 fps muzzle.

With the 115 Berger VLD's around 3,300 fprs muzzle.

Believe it or not, alot of the Weatherby factory ammo is designed for blistering velocities, which is not always the most accurate. My .257 used to shoot the factory Weatherby ammo loaded with the 110 NAB's, and it was about a 1-1.5 MOA (1"-1") group gun @ 100 yards. Since reloading, I have turned the speeds down, and gotten MUCH improved groupings. Like to MOA (" to ") groups @ 100 yards, which means you will get much tighter groups further out, as well.

You should see what the 110 NAB's do to a full water bottle @ 100 yards.....It's pretty cool to see what it essentially does to a deer's insides when it passes through. After seeing that display, I think ALOT more people will be believers in the "little" .257 Wby caliber's capabilities.

I've had mine since 2008, and I love that caliber. So much so, that I'm turning my .338 WinMag into a lightweight .257 Wby, since my Accumark is a rather heavy rifle to tote around the woods.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, anytime. And I'll try to answer them as best I can.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

CAUTION, BLOOD AND GORY PICTURES BELOW!!!

How far off the lands are you seating the 100 grain TTSX? I would try everything imaginable to get that bullet to shoot well. Why? This is the entry into the rib cage of an antelope doe at 183 yards from a 100 grain TTSX from a 25-06 at 183 yards. Impact velocity, about 2632 fps.

I have never seen an animal hit the ground that hard, and you could barely pull out the lungs because they were, literally, like strawberry jelly, both of them.

And here is the exit on that same doe.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

"How far off the lands are you seating the 100 grain TTSX"

To be honest, I am not 100% sure. When I tried to check seating depth using a Stoney point gage, the bullet was not even in the case! I know that WBY chamberings have long throats but DANG!
Most loading manuals show max OAL to be 3.25 in. I have started my seating depth at 3.31 as this will fit in my mag.
I have never had to jump that far in my life and just not sure how this is going to work.

I can try and get a distance tonight when I get home, but my starting point is where the junction of the main body/boattail of the bullet is even with the neck/shoulder junction on the case. This puts the mouth of the case on one of the rings of the bullet (not on a grove). I don't know if that matters or not.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

I have always wanted a Remington 700 LSS in .257 Wby, but I have not had a .257 Wby in anything other than a Weatherby rifle. I have always been curious to know if the Remington .257 Wby chambers had the long freebore like the Weatherby rifles do. For example, in my Accumark, even with a bullet barely in the case just enough to hold it in there, it still won't touch the rifling. So I ended up just loading mine @ 0.005" shorter than my internal magazine length, and it seems to like them just fine.

Also, to measure for concentricity of your seating depth, I would recommend buying this:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator Complete Set 14 Inserts

I have one and it works excellently, even on the Berger VLD's with the really long and pointed Ogive.

You will get a much more accurate reading of your bullet depth, than you will will by going off the tip (marplat) of the bullet, since the bullet tip length does not tend to affect bullet performnace as much as other factors, there tends to be alot more variance in length (couple thousandths), and are not as crucial as proper concentric location of the Ogive.

With the Barnes bullets it doesn't matter if its final seating depth is on a solid spot or a cannelure. The main seal you achieve between your bullet and neck is near the base right above the boat tail.

Quote: