Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifling twist in Artillery cannons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Rifling twist in Artillery cannons

Any one have a guess what the rifling rate was in a Sherman tank of WW2 was it 5R ? Button rifled or Cut rifled ?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifling twist in Artillery cannons

Most tank's main gun barrels were rifled with a 1 in 15 to 1 in 20 calibers. A caliber being the bore diameter. Field artillery barrels had about the same twist. Compared to battleship main battery barrels from 12 to 16 inch bores with a 1 in 20 to 1 in 25, they're pretty fast. But a battleship's 2000 to 3000 pound, 6-foot long projectiles didn't need to be spun so fast; they spin stabilized very well at a slower twist.

Virtually all millitary large caliber barrels were broach rifled. A single pass of the hydraulic operated rifling machine was all it took. Some were made by a single-point cutter that made several passes in each groove which took a long time.

6 inch and larger naval gun barrels had their rifling in a liner that, when worn out, would be pushed out its back end then replaced with another liner. 'Twas much cheaper and faster than replacing the entire barrel. I don't know of any tank or artillery barrels that used liners.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Iron Worker,

Okay, I'm curious; how did this one come up?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Most tank's main gun barrels were rifled with a 1 in 15 to 1 in 20 calibers. A caliber being the bore diameter. Field artillery barrels had about the same twist. Compared to battleship main battery barrels from 12 to 16 inch bores with a 1 in 20 to 1 in 25, they're pretty fast. But a battleship's 2000 to 3000 pound, 6-foot long projectiles didn't need to be spun so fast; they spin stabilized very well at a slower twist.

Virtually all millitary large caliber barrels were broach rifled. A single pass of the hydraulic operated rifling machine was all it took. Some were made by a single-point cutter that made several passes in each groove which took a long time.

6 inch and larger naval gun barrels had their rifling in a liner that, when worn out, would be pushed out its back end then replaced with another liner. 'Twas much cheaper and faster than replacing the entire barrel. I don't know of any tank or artillery barrels that used liners.
That was very interesting ! Thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Iron Worker,

Okay, I'm curious; how did this one come up?
We who buy custom bbls are particular as to twist rate and method of rifling installation . I watch the Military Channel a bunch,they had a special on tanks. So just curious as to their bbl specs .
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

I am pretty sure that i saw the new 120mm tubes on the Abrams main battle tank are smooth bore. I guess the sabot rounds they fire are self stableizing?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Dogdinger,

They're fin stabilized. APFSDS is the usual designation, standing for Armor Piercing, Fin Stabilized, Discarding Sabot. And yes, you're absolutley correct; they're smoothbores.