Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle's Throat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle's Throat

You're Welcome,

Just remember to let the smith know (and he can pass on to the reamer co.) if you want to shoot from the magazine or not also.

Some combinations we can, some we cant. For a hunting rifle, I prefer to be able to use the magazine and still be able to seat bullets out close to the rifling.....another reason for a short throat.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Bronze Member

SBruce, I appreciate the input. I begin to understand more and more as I read threads here @ LRH. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM

I hope it's OK to use this thread to post my question. In the A-Square reloading manual I read that there's 2 types of throats, parallel and conical ones. It said that a lot of freebore wouldn't be a problem with light short bullets as long as the throat was of the parallel type just a thousandth bigger than bullet diameter. It went on to say that most cartridge chambers were of the conical type and that this would be why people seat bullets close to the lands for accuracy. Can somebody comment on that?
Old 09-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
For a hunting rifle, I prefer to be able to use the magazine and still be able to seat bullets out close to the rifling.
I cheated. I had my 300WSM built on one of my old Long Action Model-70's I've got ample room in the mag, & I was still able to have er throated for 200gr Accubonds, but I shoot 180's currently with a c.o.a.l. of over 3 inches. I could shoot down to 165's & not be throated too long, but if I wanted to shoot bullets that light, I'd have kept it as an -06'.

Like SBruce said,
Have it throated long enough to accommodate your longest bullet you plan to use, but not so long you can't shoot lighter ones too, if you wish.
This is good advise for a hunting rifle.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I cheated. I had my 300WSM built on one of my old Long Action Model-70's I've got ample room in the mag, & I was still able to have er throated for 200gr Accubonds, but I shoot 180's currently with a c.o.a.l. of over 3 inches. I could shoot down to 165's & not be throated too long, but if I wanted to shoot bullets that light, I'd have kept it as an -06'.

Like SBruce said,
Have it throated long enough to accommodate your longest bullet you plan to use, but not so long you can't shoot lighter ones too, if you wish.
This is good advise for a hunting rifle.
I think you did great by cheating with a long action

I probably should've had my 300 WSM done on a long action, instead of a short action with a 3.0" magazine box.

Sure, 180's will run jammed at 2.91+ and still feed in the mag, but the base of the bearing surface is well under the neck/shoulder junction and stealing powder column in the process. Maybe not much with 180's, but I can't imagine how much would be lost with the 200+ pills.

Just my opinion, but the 300WSM probably really needs to be done on a long action. Similarily the 6.5-284 only gets all it gusto by living in a long action, shooting long bullets, and having a long hallway to run down. Even though both cartridges were originally designed to shoot in short actions, we didn't have the High BC extra long bullets in those days.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3R3T1K View Post
I hope it's OK to use this thread to post my question. In the A-Square reloading manual I read that there's 2 types of throats, parallel and conical ones. It said that a lot of freebore wouldn't be a problem with light short bullets as long as the throat was of the parallel type just a thousandth bigger than bullet diameter. It went on to say that most cartridge chambers were of the conical type and that this would be why people seat bullets close to the lands for accuracy. Can somebody comment on that?
I'd comment if I knew anything about that, but unfortunately I don't. I've never heard of conical vs parallel throats. Not saying it isn't so, just haven't heard of it. I'd be interested to read about/hear more about this.....