Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rifles for new hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Bronze Member

Rifles for new hunter

Hey, This is my first thread on this website.
So im looking at rifles for long range varmint hunting, and maybe some deer hunting. (Maybe not a ridiculous far out yardage, But something like 500ish.) My top recommendations have been the .25-06 or the 22-250. Reason being my family has reloading dies for both of these calibers. Im wanting a really good tack driving rifle. I currently have a Remington 700 SPS in .223, but looking for a slightly larger caliber. The rifles im looking at now are the Savage 111LRH in 25-06, or another Rem 700. On the Savage it has a thin barrel from what I can tell, and I was worried about that for varmint hunting. Please help. Any suggestions? Thanks for your responses. =D
-Azshios
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Rifles for new hunter

Don't worry about a "thin" barrel, the interior matters far more than the exterior. don't get hung up on the "light barrels don't shoot" thing. Which twist does your 223 have? You can run them farther than you think, I've shot whitetails to 300yds and "varmints" to 600yds with the 223/223AI. It's all about the bullet.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Bronze Member

I think it has a 12" barrel twist. But I really dont know. I bought it used at a Cabelas in our state. Im really not happy with this rifle. Ive taken it to gunsmiths and Sportsmens/Cabelas etc etc. Whenever I load a round into the chamber I have to really force the bolt to close all the way. Ive cleaned the inside of the chamber meticulously and the same thing has happened. Ive tried a ton of different rounds and varieties. Hand loaded and factory ammo. But my family recommends a 25-06 or a 22-250 because we do have the dies and id rather shoot hand loaded rounds vs paying a ton for factory ammo.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

This is my opinion only, but dies are cheap. Many times you can buy them used and the cost of them should not really enter into your decision. To me, I would concentrate on what you want and worry about the dies later. I will tell you that I love my two main guns. I have a Remmington 260 and a 7MM WSM. Both are highly versatile and shoot wonderfully for long ranges. Look ahead to what you want to do and then choose the caliber that does it the best for you. If you are mainly hunting deer I would go a little bigger than the 25-06. This is just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

Alright thanks. Im not going to only be hunting deer. Im gonna be mostly rock chucks and target shooting. Ive been shooting my uncles 25-06 and I really liked it. Our rock chucks are just now coming out and we've been plinking them from about 500 yards with his rifle. I really, really, really liked his rifle. But ive just been really disappointed with my current rifle, and no one seems to figure out whats wrong with it. I just want a accurate flat shooting rifle. A friend recommended the Savage 111 LRH, But like I said im a little bit worried about the light barrel. Because from what ive heard its a really hot burning round and I would assume it would heat up the barrel pretty quickly.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

And the main reason about the dies is because I cant afford factory ammo, And my family can do reloading for cheaper. But thats the main reason.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Silver Member

You don't indicate where you're hunting or are from, but I'd go w/ the 25-06....unless you're only going to shoot under-deer size animals. I have a 22/250 and love it but, i'd like more of a "fudge factor" than you'll get shooting deer w/ the 22/250. If you're just shooting small deer (so. whitetails) under 100lbs, you'll be fine with the 22/250 or a 223 as mentioned above. I hunt mulies, and they're a tough critter. I've seen some put up quite a fight even after a .243 with a good hit. The 25-06 gives you more punch for deer especially if you're going to reach out there a ways to "touch" them. My two bits.