Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Which rifle to use for first long range set up. (Reposted from wrong thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Which rifle to use for first long range set up. (Reposted from wrong thread)

I was thinking about starting with a quality scope on the winchester for practicing dialing distances and shooting technique until i can afford better equipment. BUt one reason i was considering using the m70 was that there is a local gunsmith here that doe quite a bit og work on Model 70s in his shop and accurizes them.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Which rifle to use for first long range set up. (Reposted from wrong thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman 45 View Post
I was thinking about starting with a quality scope on the winchester for practicing dialing distances and shooting technique until i can afford better equipment. BUt one reason i was considering using the m70 was that there is a local gunsmith here that doe quite a bit og work on Model 70s in his shop and accurizes them.
Well since you've decided to choose the Model 70, get it bedded and trigger adjusted. How much do you want to spend on a scope?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
The push feed Winchester M70's were maligned mostly because they weren't pre-64 model 70's. Despite the fact that the post-64 rifles are comparatively unloved, there are quite a few accomplished gunsmiths who prefer them as a basis for a custom rifle build. If you are fortunate enough to have such a gunsmith in your locality, by all means, talk to him about what he can do with your rifle.

Really, though, if your rifle already reliably shoots sub-MOA, you may be better off to put your resources into acquiring the quality scope that you mentioned and toward a modest handloading setup. From there, save for a new barrel and some accurizing work. When you have shot your .270 barrel out, then would be a good time for gunsmithing and you may wish to go with a different chambering.

You have a solid base to start with. I recommend that you use your resources to hone yourself as a rifleman, rather than get caught up in gear and chambering. There will be plenty of time for that later.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:25 AM
Silver Member

I have owned all variations of the M70. I cannot understand why the pre 64 is so desired above a newer model. I really like Winchesters and personally prefer them over a savage. Personally I would start hand loading and the better gun will stand out.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM
Bronze Member

Ya, I absolutely love that gun. Its more accurate than I am. But the reason i think its that way is because of the Hogue stock, before i installed it it was in the original crappy looking yellowish wood stock that was no where near a good fit for the action. Also putting a quality scope instead of the $60 tasco that was on it when i first got it too helped. Right now its in a Weaver Classic V10 with the EBX reticle, which i used to take a deer at around 430yds this year. As far as scopes go, i have been looking at the SWFA SS scopes. From what ive heard and seen, they seem to be great scopes for the cost. Do any of yall have any experience with them?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ya, I absolutely love that gun. Its more accurate than I am. But the reason i think its that way is because of the Hogue stock, before i installed it it was in the original crappy looking yellowish wood stock that was no where near a good fit for the action. Also putting a quality scope instead of the $60 tasco that was on it when i first got it too helped. Right now its in a Weaver Classic V10 with the EBX reticle, which i used to take a deer at around 430yds this year. As far as scopes go, i have been looking at the SWFA SS scopes. From what ive heard and seen, they seem to be great scopes for the cost. Do any of yall have any experience with them?
I have a fixed 10X SS that I use to shoot F-T/R matches. I like it a lot. One of the 3-15x42 SS scopes is high on my shopping list. Something most people overlook when it comes to shopping for long range glass is the need for a lot of internal adjustment. Very few scopes short of the high end stuff have that. The SS line has 100+ MOA of internal adjustment. They aren't fancy, but they are rugged and repeatable. Tough to beat for the price.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upacreek View Post
I have owned all variations of the M70. I cannot understand why the pre 64 is so desired above a newer model. I really like Winchesters and personally prefer them over a savage. Personally I would start hand loading and the better gun will stand out.
The original pre 64 M70 was a mauser type CRF action with claw extractor. In 64, Winchester decided to cut costs in making the M70's and part of that was going to the push feed action and no claw extractor as I understand it. Guys who like CRF actions don't like push feed actoins so it caused a commotion among the loyal M70 crowd.

In 1992 the CRF and many of the original pre 64 features was reintroduced with the M70 Classic.

Good article on the M70 here....
Winchester Model 70 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams