Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle stock refinishing project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Rifle stock refinishing project

Shortgrass,

I used a varnidh remover to remove all the varish from the stock. Even the checkering had all the varish removed. I did not touchup the checkering because the checkering was already in fair to good condition. Then only part in the checkering that need much help was the area that rubbes on my pocket knive. I did not see a lot of reason to touch it up if it is going to be tour up again the next time I take it out. Beside I thought that I would screw it up more then if I left it alone.

400bull
Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 AM
SPONSOR

All wood finishes I am aware of penatrate. That is the point, to get a barrier between the wood and atmosphere. As a stockmaker, I get approached to 're-finish' alot of different models. Because you have to get to raw wood, so it will then have the same look and color as the rest, the checkering has to be re-cut, which nobody wants to pay for and I don't want to do. Factory checkering is just that, factory. Even those Belgium made A-5s, that are so coveted in this part of the country, had their checkering cut by students (any hand engraving, too!). After ya' get the 'crud' out, under good magnification, you'll find lines running together and over. Re-cutting factory checkering,,,,,,,, well, I'd rather start from scratch and I don't do that often enough to be good at it. But that's one of those things you run into when 're-finishing' factory made (and checkered) stocks.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 AM

I have a couple of cents to lay out on the table if I may. I use laquer thinner to strip. To refinish I always use boiled linseed oil and I cut the linseed oil with naptha. you can get all of this material from your local home depot lowes etc.