Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle rebarrel with factory take off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle rebarrel with factory take off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halleywood View Post
jfseaman,
Thanks for the reply. The barrel I'm looking at is being advertised as a new barrel takeoff. It hasn't been shot at all.

My definition of 'worth it' would be could I expect good accuracy for a LR hunting rifle. I'm not in need of (but would love) 1 hole groups. Would the difference between this new takeoff barrel versus say your Pac Nor, Lilja, Shilen, Brux, etc. be the difference between 3/4" and 1/2" groups? Or could I expect to see groups cut in half or better, whatever the group size is?

I'm definitely not scared of paying for a better quality barrel and all the gunsmithing that goes along with it, but I'm looking for the cost benefit of spending the extra coin involved. I would expect the added cost to be at least $500 or better.

Also, if I'm understanding you correctly if I went with a take off (or prefit) barrel I wouldn't want the barrel trued to the action. Is it because it would cause fit issues? In my research it seems some barrel makers that do prefit barrels leave some material at the chamber end to do truing. Does that sound right?

Thanks again for your insights!
I have no problems doing it. As a matter of fact, I'm fixing to build 2 custom rifles using take-off factory barrels.

My smith charges me $150 to true the action, true the barrel's shoulder, and reset the headspacing. $100 shipped for a take-off barrel, and $150 for truing and headspacing isn't a bad investment when the rest of the parts for your custom build are already there, bought, and paid for.

I've rebarreled with factory barrels several times now, and if the smith does his job, and if the barrels is a good barrel, then you should be driving tacks for less than the price of a custom barrel blank before any work done.

Then again, with a custom barrel, you have a much higher percentage of it being a good barrel, and you getting more accuracy.

So, there's always pros and cons to either direction you head.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

For the price of the adams and bennett barrels, i wouldnt even consider a takeoff barrel. I used one on my 25-06 and absolutely love it!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

I use takeoff barrels often. I usually rechamber with my reamer with specs that will help it perform. Not fond of factory chambers.

If I were to make a 7 STW with a Rem takeoff I'd start with a 7 Rem Mag barrel not a 7 STW. Both are offered in 26" so no issue there. The correct threads and bolt recess already exist so all that is needed is to rechamber with proper headspace.

A few rechambering jobs that have worked well for me with Rem takeoffs: 243 to 6mm-284, 7 Rem mag to 7mm/375 Ruger and 300 Win mag to 300 RUM.