Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 427
Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

I have been looking into doing a project gun on a budget. I want a thumbhole/tact style stocked carry rifle in a bigger .30 chambering. I like the shorter deg bolt lift of the Mark V and found a killer deal on a blued one. I would rather go with a stainless but cant afford one in Mark V but can in the Vanguard but the Van only has 24" bbl so would I be better off finding a stainless Remmy in .300 RUM as it would be probably 26". I would also consider a .338RUM but have yet to actually see one. Or would I be just fine going with the blued Mark V?

This gun will be used for Elk/Mule deer stalking hunting out to 500 yards and will be topped off as of right now I think with the Trijicon 5-20x50 with red triangle sight post. This gun might also end up on a hunt to Alaska or Canada, thus the Stainless VS. Blued concern.
__________________
Never pass up a kool-aid stand or lemonade stand. Remember it is a young American learning the American dream.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,645
Re: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
I have been looking into doing a project gun on a budget. I want a thumbhole/tact style stocked carry rifle in a bigger .30 chambering. I like the shorter deg bolt lift of the Mark V and found a killer deal on a blued one. I would rather go with a stainless but cant afford one in Mark V but can in the Vanguard but the Van only has 24" bbl so would I be better off finding a stainless Remmy in .300 RUM as it would be probably 26". I would also consider a .338RUM but have yet to actually see one. Or would I be just fine going with the blued Mark V?

This gun will be used for Elk/Mule deer stalking hunting out to 500 yards and will be topped off as of right now I think with the Trijicon 5-20x50 with red triangle sight post. This gun might also end up on a hunt to Alaska or Canada, thus the Stainless VS. Blued concern.
.300 Weatherby without a second thought! Three times the barrel life alone makes it a winner. Plus they tend to be much more accurate
gary
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
I have been looking into doing a project gun on a budget. I want a thumbhole/tact style stocked carry rifle in a bigger .30 chambering. I like the shorter deg bolt lift of the Mark V and found a killer deal on a blued one. I would rather go with a stainless but cant afford one in Mark V but can in the Vanguard but the Van only has 24" bbl so would I be better off finding a stainless Remmy in .300 RUM as it would be probably 26". I would also consider a .338RUM but have yet to actually see one. Or would I be just fine going with the blued Mark V?

This gun will be used for Elk/Mule deer stalking hunting out to 500 yards and will be topped off as of right now I think with the Trijicon 5-20x50 with red triangle sight post. This gun might also end up on a hunt to Alaska or Canada, thus the Stainless VS. Blued concern.
I would choose the 300 RUM because of availability and price of components. I also much prefer the Ultra case design. I am going through this process with a 700 action for a 300 RUM build. And the only reason I am going with the 700 is because I have one. Everything is getting replaced, trigger, bolt, pinned recoil lug. Better really to go with a custom action and I would have except I already had the 700 doner. I much prefer the Howa/Vanguard action as you don't have to replace anything and their factory machining is better than the 700's, but they're too short for the RUM and long high BC bullets.

That said, I have a NIB 300 WBY Sub MOA Vanguard with a factory shot 3 round target group that measures about. 4 MOA that I would be willing to sell you. You could reload bullets like the 180 AB seated a little deep and still load them in the mag box. Definitely plenty of punch at 500 yds plus.

On the Mark V actions, I was very interested in them a while back but A highly respected and well known smith from this forum steered me away from them. They're a good action but some potential issues. Below is what he messaged me...

Quote:
Just make sure the Accumark you get has a stock that can be bedded properly, some of the older ones use a petroleum based stock material that over time will have bedding compound come loose, especially when used in colder weather.

Lapping the Wby is kind of tricky. the contact surfaces are so small that its easy to get lapping compound on the outside of the lugs and this can simply lap the thickness of the lugs as well and make them even smaller. Not dramatically but I have seen several thou taken off. Just depends on how much needs to be lapped. Personally, if more then 1/2 thou needs to be lapped, you will have a difficult time keeping the bolt square by the time you get all the lugs into contact.



Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
.300 Weatherby without a second thought! Three times the barrel life alone makes it a winner. Plus they tend to be much more accurate
gary
That sounds a little hard for me to believe. Do you have any data for that. I think most would agree that a well cared for 300 RUM will last about 1000 rounds, give or take and well cared for 300 WM about 1500. The WBY is closer to the RUM in case capacity so I figure maybe 1200 rounds?

As far as accuracy goes, that's more a factor of quality components and smithing than cartridge. A RUM and a WBY made from the same quality parts and built by the same quality smith will probably both shoot very well in the sub 1/2 MOA or better category.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,645
Re: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I would choose the 300 RUM because of availability and price of components. I also much prefer the Ultra case design. I am going through this process with a 700 action for a 300 RUM build. And the only reason I am going with the 700 is because I have one. Everything is getting replaced, trigger, bolt, pinned recoil lug. Better really to go with a custom action and I would have except I already had the 700 doner. I much prefer the Howa/Vanguard action as you don't have to replace anything and their factory machining is better than the 700's, but they're too short for the RUM and long high BC bullets.

That said, I have a NIB 300 WBY Sub MOA Vanguard with a factory shot 3 round target group that measures about. 4 MOA that I would be willing to sell you. You could reload bullets like the 180 AB seated a little deep and still load them in the mag box. Definitely plenty of punch at 500 yds plus.

On the Mark V actions, I was very interested in them a while back but A highly respected and well known smith from this forum steered me away from them. They're a good action but some potential issues. Below is what he messaged me...








That sounds a little hard for me to believe. Do you have any data for that. I think most would agree that a well cared for 300 RUM will last about 1000 rounds, give or take and well cared for 300 WM about 1500. The WBY is closer to the RUM in case capacity so I figure maybe 1200 rounds?

As far as accuracy goes, that's more a factor of quality components and smithing than cartridge. A RUM and a WBY made from the same quality parts and built by the same quality smith will probably both shoot very well in the sub 1/2 MOA or better category.
most guys that have made posts about barrel life are speaking in the 600 round range, and some are much less. .300 Weatherbys are known for a fairly decient barrel life plus the better case design allows them to handle big long bullets much better. Some guys whine about the free bore issue, and most end users never do. But you can get a no free bore chamber reamer just as easy as one with free bore. Accuracey wise, let me simply say that a .300 Ultra Mag is an extremely rare sight at a 1000 yard bench rest shoot, while .300 WBY mags are fairly common.. That ought to tell you something. Now life with these cases begins at 200+ grain bullets, and both are kind of a waste with anything under 180 grains. If the shooter was thinking 180 grain bullets or lighter, I'd be thinking .300 WSM
gary
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

I've got a 300 RUM Sendero and about 500 rounds down the tube so haven't had a chance to burn one yet, but from the research I did before and after I got it, most reports were in the 1000 round range, if cared for. Sure, you can burn one a lot quicker. Now as for the 7mm RUM, I've read about 500-700 rounds.

The WBY has been around longer than the RUM so I'm guessing that has something to do with seeing more on the bench. Also, at that level you're talking differnces in the hundreths vs tenths. There are similarities between the Bench and LR guys, but there are differences too. For the OP, whatever cartridge he decides to go with, if he gets a quality smith and uses quality parts, he'll get a sub 1/2 MOA rig which will be more accurate than he needs for 500 yds plus.

I like the 300 WSM too, and shoot 180's out of both the RUM and the WSM, and in fact, that would be my suggestion for a LA Howa and very capable at 500 yds.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 427
Re: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

Thanks for the replies guys. I have read on more than one occasion that the freebore in the Roy's is for increased barrell life? I agree, I have seen several Roy's of various design/size.... factory guns, that easily shoot sub-moa and some shoot well under .5MOA.

The main reason I was looking at the .300 Roy and RUM is for the fact that you can find ammo for both anywhere it seams. If they have RUM stuff they will for sure have some for the Roy so I consider that a wash and performance is very close when you load the Roy to it's max like the factory does. My concerns was more with which factory rifle would be the better choice and if Stainless is as big of a deal or is it more just in my head that I need stainless?

MonRif, please PM me with some info on your Roy Van rifle. Very interested.

I also know the WSM would be a viable choice, but after shooting a STW for all these years, those small cases just dont make me feel all mighty powerful LOL.
__________________
Never pass up a kool-aid stand or lemonade stand. Remember it is a young American learning the American dream.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: sw ks
Posts: 314
Re: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??

I doubt a roy will triple the barrel life of an UM. My 300 I have now is on barrel #5 (I think/dont tell wife) and I usually get 1000+ with no weakness. Most last longer even if a bit raggedy. The big reason Id say UM is belt,shoulder and brass. 338 edge brass necked down is gonna be nice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Rifle project. 300WBY in Mark V or Vanguard or 300RUM in ??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weatherby Vanguard .300Wby synthetic Smoak352 Guns For Sale 0 01-05-2012 02:59 AM
Japan Weatherby Mark V Alaskan 300Wby barrel RockZ Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. 4 02-02-2011 07:00 PM
Weatherby Vanguard Stainless 300WBY Tikkamike Guns For Sale 1 07-20-2010 07:32 PM
300RUM 4 yr Project bugthor Gun Photos 8 09-25-2008 09:38 PM
**SOLD** Mark V SS/SYN 300wby eddybo Guns For Sale 6 09-14-2008 04:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC