Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle comb height on factory stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

Rifle comb height on factory stock

Think I've got the terminology right. You guys got any home brewed solutions for raising the height so that when you plant your cheek onto the stock, your eye is lined up just where it needs to be to line up with the reticle. When I do this with my rifle I find that I'm looking between the scope and barrel.

I have a friend who taped a couple layers of popsicle sticks onto this stock to raise the height. And while it did raise it to a good height for him, he also wasn't able to remove the bolt as the popsicle sticks were in the way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle comb height on factory stock

Alot of times with big obj scopes you will see this problem their are a few choices you have
1) have an adjustable cheak piece installed
2) modify the stock with alot of epoxy and glass to make it
the hight and shape you want.
3) find your self some 1/4" strips of somthing and add one
piece on top of another untill the hight is correct then
order one of the strap on units from Black Hawk or Smith

if you look at the military sniper rifles you'll notice that alot of them have alot of duct tape wrapped around the but , this is how they adjust the comb hight
As for the bolt comming out the strap on units can easly be removed but if you build up the comb with epoxy and glass then you have to leave enough room to get the bolt out.
I put a stock together for a fella that shoot alot of varmints and the way he wanted the comb he has to now pull the action out of the stock to get the bolt out, I thought it was a bad idea but he's happy so what ever floats you boat.