Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle Chronographs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 PM

Rifle Chronographs

I am looking for a new Chronograph the one I had was expensive and with in the first year I had to replace two light elements not covered by warranty (electrical) any ideas.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle Chronographs

The cheap ones are wrong most the time, the expensive ones are still wrong some of time, and there is no way of knowing when it's good and when it is full of crap. Gravity:cons: not fancy,it has no printer or led display....... Gravity pro: It does not require a tri-pod, , It fits neatly anywhere and everywhere and it never lies, misleads or fails, you can not accidently shoot it and it's cheap, works in any light....etc,etc..........Drop test results reverse engineered threw a good ballistic calculator is better info, more reliable info. Making the chronograph the #1 contestant for the most over rated piece of gear on the planet and a total waist of money. My opinion and I am sure others feel differently but it is what it is.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Bronze Member

Don't waste your time and money with the light sensor types. The area detectable is limited and they can be a real pain to get accurate readings from in poor light conditions. What you need is an accoustic chronograph. These record the shockwave created by the bullet as it travels across it and have a much greater detectable area -.
Here's the one i have:

The World

I particularly like its compact size and the fact that i can set it up near the target without fear of false readings. Thereby i can confirm bullet speeds out to extended ranges and compare against ballistic calculators.

Here's a U-tube of it in use:
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Silver Member

Have used two different brands of light sensor types. Both worked but would be finicky depending on the brightness and angle of the light. And I shoot at a range so is always a pain to call a cold range so go play with mt tripod

I switched to a magnetic sensor type that attaches to the front of my rifle, works in any type of light. This is by far the best I have used. The one I have is called a Magnetospeed.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Platinum Member

I'm having good luck with the magnetospeed. No tripods (still have one of these) no light diffusers (it'll even work in the dark) & has not effected accuracy (only POI).

MagnetoSpeed

Not super expensive, doesn't weigh anything & doesn't take up much space (I keep mine in my range bag at all times).

Name:  Rifle Mgto.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  19.9 KB

t

Old 01-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Thank you for the feedback, you have broadened my horizons. I looked up both units and for ease of simplicity I am going with the Magnetospeed unit. I will post the results of my 300wsm and 270.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome, glad to help. Keep in mind, your POI will shift slightly with the Magneto Speed but it has not effected accuracy as far as group size goes. That will allow you to work your loads efficiently, but you will have to remove the unit to zero.

cheers,