Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle and caliber choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rifle and caliber choices

D.ID that Edge sounds sweet. 13.5 ready to roll is a beautiful weight for a carry weight rifle.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Platinum Member

I'm in the same boat regarding a fused neck. Probably need another , but getting by on injections. I have a 338 RUM that's about 9 lbs. I've switched to 180 grain Accubonds for practice (did shoot an antelope with them) and that makes the next day more peaceful. The stock on mine is an original pattern Winchester model 70 Mcmillan, all that was available in synthetic many years ago, and I really need to change it, The Mcmillan Lazzeroni thumbhole is on the to do list see if i can't put a little more recoil into a straighter line, and take up a bit in my right hand, Then likely a heavier scope. Bullet weight, rifle weight, stock fit and design, and I think it's doable. You're close where do you shoot?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Harperc I used to shoot near Colville as I had a friend that had some property up there. He sold it this last fall so am looking for something new. Have shot down near Fishtrap lake on some BLM land, but they closed that thanks to the morons that would bring junk out, shoot it and then leave there mess behind. I have not done much for the last year as L and I takes there sweet loving time even when a guy can't feel his hands.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Harperc one other thing I forgot to mention in my last post. If you want to add a little weight as well as make your rum recoil strait back try a wood thumb hole with a lower cheek piece . Take a look at Joel Russo's web page to get an idea. If my 50 sells I will be using one of his stocks for my next build.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Good looking stock thanks. Weight wise I can pick up a pound changing from my Leupold Mk4, and gain a bit more magnification as well. With bear season open I'll wait a bit on all of it.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure how much recoil you can take, so I'm going to assume that you want to play it safe and say a 7mag with a 28-30" barrel on a #6 couture maybe even brake it. You should be able to reach 1200yrds with 1000ft/lbs and some to spare, and that's with 168gr vlds. With the heavier vld's it would get even better. If your neck can take more recoil then hey by all means go big as you can.

Take a look at some of Kirby Allens stuff
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Joe thanks for the reply. I have a 7WSM and it weights 12.5 with no brake its still nice to shoot. My thinking is looking for something in the 338 cal as I shoot and hunt past 600 pretty regular. While I like my 7 I don't trust it past that for an elk. Kirby's guns are the stuff dreams are made of. If I can get rid of my 50 then I will be ordering one from him for sure.