Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rifle and caliber choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Silver Member

Rifle and caliber choices

Well after 6+ months of therapy looks like my neck is as healed as it's going to get. I had a fusion back in Jan so real big recoil is no longer an option. I have a 50 (that I truly loved to shoot) and it is just way to much for me now. While the 50 isn't really for hunting it sure gave me a limit. Was wondering what you guys shoot that is still long range, but wont beat a guy up to bad. I figure whatever I end up with will need a brake for sure. Most of my hunting is in the 500-1200 range. Deer and elk as well as a few yotes when they cross my path. Thanks for any and all advice guys.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle and caliber choices

Do you reload? If so I think a braked 338 Win shooting the 225 grain CE bullet would be a perfect platform. Decently low recoil and great ballistics out to 1200 yards. I personally don't have experience with this caliber and bullet. Maybe LTLR will chime in and give you some advise as he hunts the same ranges as you do and the 225 CE is one of his favorite bullets from what I have read.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Ya I had to get into reloading as a 50 will plain bankrupt you otherwise. I am just starting the research process thanks to my neck. A 338 win is a great round and will make my list. Have had no experience with the CE bullets but am looking to change that. I have shot hard kicking guns my entire life and loved every single minute. Thanks for the ideas by the way.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Thats what i figured. Could go bankrupt even if one does reload!!

CE bullets arent cheep but when you reload for a 50 it shouldnt seem to bad.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...on&key=MTH_D67

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Man you ain't kidding!! My dad and I have shared a McMillan Tac50 for several years so we split the cost :-))
Old 08-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

That's a good idea splitting the costs! My dads friend has a 50 and he uses it on prairie dogs!

bigngreen on this site is sending me some 252 grain CE bullets for me to test low end expansion in wet newspapers. It will be about 2 weeks before I do the testing.

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

I love the 338 win..............but......... not for elk at 1200 yards........ If your going that far on elk the rum or edge would retain much better authority without beating you up.