Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Rifle Basix Trigger= help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

Rifle Basix Trigger= help needed

Well, I installed the RB trigger on my 300WM and the trigger is just awful. When I adjust the trigger to a lighter setting the sear WILL NOT engage!

When I stiffen the trigger up some and actually get the sear to engage, I can bump the rifle and it goes off.

I have adjusted everything trying to solve this problem. Next I'm thinking of going to the hardware store to try to find some different springs to replace the ones it came with. But I don't know if that will even do anything.

I'd like the pull weight to be less than or right at 1lb... What can I do?

Timney looks like the next best option, but will not adjust below 1.5lbs

My rifle is a Savage 111

Last edited by DirtySouth85; 03-13-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to say it was a savage
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

re: Rifle Basix Trigger= help needed

SAV1 or 2? I had absolutely no problems with my SAV-1, it took a little fine tuning, but I got the trigger to work great. The main thing was the safety screw, with a real light hold on the sear, the safety screw had to be just right. I have had mine set where it is through a few hundred rounds of ammo and have had zero problems. I can hang it by the trigger and it will not go off (had it unloaded while testing this)
Old 03-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

I installed a Rifle Basix ERV on a Rem 700 bench gun 7 years ago, adjusted it down to 7 ounces, was very pleased with it. Last fall, the sear connector broke. Called RB and they offered to send me a new one at no cost, postpaid, and I could return the old one in an enclosed postpaid envelope. The new trigger is just as good as the old one. The RB is not a Jewell, but IMO it is better than a Timney.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

No, Rifle Basic triggers are not junk. Give them a call to see what your problem is. I had an issue with one a smith put in one of my sons rifles that was suppose to be new, but it was not. I was trying to get it above 1 lb and could not because it was not designed to go there. The folks at RB sent me a new trigger that did a great job and still is in that rifle today. They did all this for me when I was not the origional buyer and it was the wrong model for what I wanted. Give them a chance to help you, I think if you go about it right they will get you what you want or fix the issue right away.

I know for the 300 win we had in a 700 REM the triggers came in 1 1/2 to 3 lbs. and there was a special model to go below 1 lb. The model for below 1 lb is a more cpmplex unit (like with most brands) so you may or may not have what you need.

Get em on the phone and explain your issues.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rifle Basix Trigger= help needed

I agree with Broz, they aren't junk. I have them in a couple CZ's and they work very well once you get them setup correctly.

Call them and have them walk you through all of the potential issues. One thing is that they make a couple triggers, and I think Savage is one of them, that will fit and almost work but in reality is the wrong trigger for the action. They will make sure you have everything correct.

Scot E.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have one on a 112, and it's set at just under two pounds. I did have to make an adjustment to it after I put a hundred fifty rounds thru it, and even that was very slight.
gary
Old 03-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Bronze Member

Ok, I am a pretty mechanically inclined fella, but I will def. give them a call to try to figure it out. It is a Sav-2 Trigger. The trigger will work, it is just unsafe. But I will call them first chance I get which may be tomorrow night. I will get back to everyone and let them know how goes it.

Maybe I should try to get the Sav-1, I have heard more success stories with those, now that I have been looking for help on them.