Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Rifle Balance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: Rifle Balance?

There's a big difference in the ideal balance of a rifle for shooting supported (bags or bipod) versus shooting offhand. I can't think of any rifles I own which do both really well. A Springfield M1A comes to mind as being about in the middle but not great for either shooting style.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Some folks who've rebarreled their sporters to a heavier one found out it wouldn't shoot as accurate. All that extra up front weight caused the stock's fore end to bend up more such that it touched the barrel when shot off a rest of some type (bag on a bench, bipod). With the forend resting on the support without being held, the barrel didnt' touch the fore end. As soon as the rifle was shouldered with downward pressure from the shooter's cheek on the cheek piece, that added force bent the fore end up more and contact was made. Accuracy got worse and vertical shot stringing became quite noticable.

Stock fore ends bend more than most folks realize. That old "dollar bill" test should be made with a stack of bills at least 1/16th inch thick.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Platinum Member

For a long range rifle that will be primarily fired from a prone position using a bipod you want about 2-3 pounds of downward force on the rear bag ( I would have to get out a couple of rifles and check the exact poundage). Exactly where the balance point is does not matter very much.

For a hunting rifle that is primarily fired from the shoulder you want the balance as close to the shoulder as possible to reduce the weight on the forward hand. Adding weight to a off hand hunting may change the rotational tendencies.

Here are a couple of photos of adding 2# of weight to a stock to get more downward force on the rear bag. End weight of the rifle is 18#.

Last edited by Buffalobob; 05-19-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
For a hunting rifle that is primarily fired from the shoulder you want the balance as close to the shoulder as possible to reduce the weight on the forward hand. Adding weight to a off hand hunting may change the rotational tendencies.
Competitive shooters using shoulder fired rifles in all positions favor balance to be just forward of the receiver ring. Front heavy rifles tend to have smaller aiming areas on target because they move slower and less amounts due to the weight mostly being towards the muzzle end.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I would have to say that mine is almost exactly like yours Buffalobob. Using bags or bipod it is fine but if you want an offhand shot it just feels wrong.

edge.