Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

REVISED,I hope McGowen barrels are better than their customer service. REVISED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: REVISED,I hope McGowen barrels are better than their customer service. REVISED

Thanks for the response Dan.
That's all I was wondering.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Re: REVISED,I hope McGowen barrels are better than their customer service. REVISED

I have agonized over posting this and waited a while before doing it to make sure i wasn't replying out of emotion rather than facts. First off i would like to say the barrels I got from McGowen shoot well but i only have factory barrels to compare with as this was my first experience with custom barrels. Also i would like to say everybody i dealt with was friendly, however the process was a cluster from the word go.
I originally ordered a 7mag barrel and sent my interarms action to be re barreled. A few weeks later a barrel of some sort showed up on my doorstep so i called to ask them what was up and they said it was sent by mistake and had nothing to do with my gun and they would have UPS pick it up. OK stuff happens, no biggy.several weeks later i get an e mail saying my rifle has been shipped and i am given a tracking number, man was i anxious so the day i stayed home to sign for it when it didn't show up I then tracked the package all the way to some guy in Minnesota or somewhere and when i called they said it was a mistake that it was not my rifle and i was sent the e mail by mistake. i did eventually get my rifle and by this time i had also ordered a threaded 10/22 barrel that are offered with standard 1/2 x 28 threads, and i built a custom 10/22 and duracoated it. After waiting months for a suppressor i ordered i went to mount it on my 10/22 and the barrel had been threaded wrong. when i told them about it they said to send it back and they would do a quick turnaround because it was their mistake. well that didn't happen and when i did get it back they had re blued and they said it was because the machine had chipped off my duracoat and that i should have used engine paint instead so it would stay on better. i guess it never occurred to them that had it been threaded right to start with my duracoat wouldn't have been an issue. so i had to do the duracoat at my expense all over again.
In summary i think their barrels are good at a good price but administration wise they are overwhelmed and leave a lot to be desired.