Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

REVISED,I hope McGowen barrels are better than their customer service. REVISED

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Re: I hope Mcgowen's barrels are better than their customer service, BUYERS BEWARE

I am sure the barrel will be of the quality it is supposed to be. The piss poor CS is what set me off

Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: I hope Mcgowen's barrels are better than their customer service, BUYERS BEWARE

Although it should NOT be this way, one problem I have found in this industry is if you are a solo order, buying just one item, maybe 2, you fall WAAAAAAYYYYYY down on the totem pole of importance. That's just the way it is, and your one bbl order is probably not going to sway them to improve their customer service.

I will tell you that when it comes to bbls, I have never had a problem getting one or a problem with customer service. I have seen some delays with stocks and actions, however, and some not-so-favorable customer service, but then again, these guys are usually so busy, there's just not enough time in the day to get back to every customer on every item.

Good luck with your barrel. I would send a polite demand letter, certified mail, to McGowen requesting the difference in shipping costs. Quite frankly, they are mistaken regarding USPS and priority mail as I have had many barrels shipped to me that way.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

They said that priorty mail was put on my barrel it just didnt get picked up until today. 7 days later when I was expecting it a week ago and didnt even know that it wasnt in the mail yet.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: I hope McGowen barrels are better than their customer service, BUYERS BEWARE

That sounds a lot like my experience with them, especially this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernfryedyankee View Post
The gentlemen then stated that during the process the barrel suffered some kind of flaw and had to be remade.
I was quoted exactly the same thing. There is definitely a communication issue there between Jon and Dan and whoever else is in the building. However, they made it right with me and waived some of the charges, shipped for free and were very apologetic. The gun shoots great too. I'm only four hours away from them though...
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: I hope McGowen barrels are better than their customer service, BUYERS BEWARE

I have dealt with them quite a bit, and over all it has been very good. I have seen their pile of cull barrels, and know from that, that things go wrong in the process of building and they have to start over. I have met the guys there personally and think they are good guys.

They are in the process of moving the operation to a bigger location. Things may be more hectic than usual. Not trying trying to make excuses, just trying to understand why. Lack of communication is always how a business transaction between good people goes bad. I don't think that there was deceit in the deal.

I hope that it all works out well, and the quality of the barrel out weighs the problems that happened during this transaction. I personally will continue to business with McGowen.

Steve
Old 04-07-2009, 10:22 AM

Sometimes we all have bad days, and evidently yesterday was mine. This is obviously not an excuse for what southernfryd or Mr Cohen feels was bad customer service. We actually pride ourselves on our customer service and even the best companies slip up now and then. Mr Cohen had every reason to be upset because he felt he didn't get the customer service that he felt he deserved. I'm not going to point any fingers nor am I going to start some "he said/she said" thing because in my opinion that would lead us to nowhere. I've realized over the years in this business that things tend to get ugly really quick, especially on these boards, someone comes in and makes a complaint and all of a sudden we have a witch hunt. While there is no excuse for what he felt was bad customer service, there are also hundreds, if not thousands of people out there that don't frequent these boards that can say that their experience with McGowen was flawless. Those individuals in this conversation don't matter because as the saying goes, "you can have 10 guys who are thrilled with you, but it only takes one to bring you down".

Hopefully Mr. Cohen gets his barrel very quickly and it is as accurate as every barrel we have produced is.

I received a forwarded email from our salesman this morning from Mr. Cohen concerning the total cost. He was concerned about the shipping cost, but as was explained when he changed his order from being shipped Fedex to USPS I personally gave him the costs that my USPS screen was giving me. I was going to post the response but feel that once he sees the receipt that I sent him that this will be a dead issue (costs).

I ask that Mr. Cohen please let us know how the barrel works for him and whether he feels he wants to order from us again is his personal choice, I think that if the barrel shoots as well as we believe it will, he may or may not change his mind. He can call me personally at any time to discuss anything that he would like.

Regards,

Dan
Old 04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

A very reasonable response to a very tough issue.

Good luck to all parties!!

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/