Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Retumbo temperature expectations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Silver Member

Retumbo temperature expectations

Howdy fellas , I have been working up loads for my recent build , a .338 rum and 92.o gr. of Retumbo is pushing a 300 gr. Elite hunter at 2812 @ 50 f with a 20ft extreme spread and just above 1/2 " moa out to 200 so far( going out to the 1k range this weekend).
Being from the south it is impossable to figure out what a powders velosity will be at say 15F . Shooting down to say 35f takes some luck, meaning it must happen on the weekend and it is usually in poor lighting conditions, with spring well on the way I may not have those rare opportunities between now and elk season. Any help on estimates with this powder is appreciated .
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: Retumbo temperature expectations

Retumbo is a very temp stable powder and I have seen very little difference in drops from 10-70 degrees out to 1000 yds. I haven't chroneyed loads at the hottest and coldest but my drop data has been dead on regardless. I load it for a couple of weatherbys and my 7 mag and stw
Old 02-15-2013, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequent misser View Post
Retumbo is a very temp stable powder and I have seen very little difference in drops from 10-70 degrees out to 1000 yds. I haven't chroneyed loads at the hottest and coldest but my drop data has been dead on regardless. I load it for a couple of weatherbys and my 7 mag and stw
I have had the same experience with Retumbo. Velocity differences between 20F and 75F are negligible.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Silver Member

A few weeks ago I had the opportuinity to fire a few rounds at coyotes when it was single digits F in the early AM. My dope did not change by any amount I could recognize, much less measure. The Retumbo, Fed215M, BergerVLD load was developed in 60 -70F weather. Took 2 coyotes with a 7RM on consecutive mornings. First yote was a 325y., broadside and the second was 665y head on, sitting. Neither one complained.

I don't get to shoot this rifle often and this was an opportuinity to shoot at a possible longer range in the cold. Now I know my cartridge load/dope table is good with a cold bore shot for the ranges I would be hunting.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Well it looks I am on the right track with retumbo , now al I need to do now is find some more to buy!!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
A few weeks ago I had the opportuinity to fire a few rounds at coyotes when it was single digits F in the early AM. My dope did not change by any amount I could recognize, much less measure. The Retumbo, Fed215M, BergerVLD load was developed in 60 -70F weather. Took 2 coyotes with a 7RM on consecutive mornings. First yote was a 325y., broadside and the second was 665y head on, sitting. Neither one complained.

I don't get to shoot this rifle often and this was an opportuinity to shoot at a possible longer range in the cold. Now I know my cartridge load/dope table is good with a cold bore shot for the ranges I would be hunting.
It's hard to beat the Retumbo/VLD/215M combo for all out performance in the old 7.